Small hatchback for tall driver?

Not finding the perfect fit among the new cars (decent mpg, acceleration and handling, reputation for reliability, price ~20k), so thinking about used model from Lexus, Infiniti, Acura. Ideally no more than175" length, with 43" drivers legroom. Want to keep it for a long time. Any suggestions?

Fit for vehicles is a personal thing, what fits you might not work for someone else.
Why are you so hung up on the length of the vehicle? Are you relegated to on-street parking at all times? Small garage?

Essjay…it’s time to get out and start test driving some hatchbacks. You will know when you are driving the right one but more importantly…you’ll know when you’re driving the wrong one.

Thanks for both replies.
bscar2: i live in San Francisco, where many spaces are not marked, and it’s really convenient to be able to get into the small ones that are created when people park thoughtlessly as they always do (I am one of those dinosaurs who can parallel park well).
missileman: I have driven a bunch of them, but the few that I like are not from companies that I trust to make a car that will be reliable for the long haul, and even those just barely have the legroom I need.

Look into Subaru Impreza or WRX. I’m not really tall (over 6’) but have no problem fitting in those cars.

You might look at a Mini Cooper. I test drove one several years ago and found they had good legroom for me, and I still had room to move the seat back.
Mazda 2 or 3 hatchback, Ford Focus or Fiesta. Those should be able to come in under $20k new, and if you can find a left over 2012 model, and there’s 2013 models on the lot, you should be able to get a really good deal on them.

Have you looked at Scion xb? My brother is 6ft 7 and drives comfortably in my Scion. It handles well, definitly has a reputation for reliability, good mpg, hatchback, under 20k. I think it has good acceleration but I don’t know what you consider “good”

a newer vw bettle has a lot of room inside leg and head for the front seat forget the back seat.

I’m 6’2", and I drive a 2007 Honda Fit very comfortably. It’s a great car, fun to drive, and you’d be amazed how much stuff you can put in it.

Good luck.

I find the current VW GTI quite roomy.