Slipping auto. tranny into neutral

I like to slip my automatic transmission into neutral when I’m at a red light, or have to wait for traffic at a stop sign. Am I prematurely wearing out the tranny by doing this?

Slight extra wear, no benefit, could create a problem if you have to react quickly.

I agree. The automatic transmission was designed by automotive engineers to remain in drive while at a stop sign or redlight.

The extra wear occurs when you put the car into gear. The “bump” you feel shortens the life of the transmission. Keep it in drive at stop lights.

I agree, slight wear shifting in and out. Leave it in drive, the torque converter will handle the rest.

transman

While I agree that there’s only a tiny amount of additional wear, the only real harm I see in doing it is if you have a newer system that has enough “disconnect” in the torque converter to allow the car to begin to roll backwards on a hill. Some do, and that can freak out the driver behind you. If he’s one of those who pulls right up to your rear bumper, you may even bump him.

IMHO you’re better to leave it in D all the time. The torque converter is more than capable of handling the difference between the engine and the drivetrain.

By the way, if you have a medical issue, such as a friend of mine who suffers serious ankle problems, and your car does require a bit of extra effort on the brake when it’s stopped in D, it’s harmless to use N to alleviate the pain. The engine is also more than capable of whithstanding the shifting.

There is no reason for this behavior actually so coming up with an answer is of no point. Its like you telling your Doctor that " It hurts when I do this " and he answers… " Then dont do that" LOL… SOrry.

Why are you doing this anywho? Theres no need for it…and any damage is hard to say…probably no damage at all…but it COULD damage or wear something out… and with it being TOTALLY UNECESSARY…why are we even going there, you know?

Blackbird

Why not engage the parking brake instead of bothering with the gear lever?

For people who have an automatic, but feel that they should shift, you can find a remedy at WalMart type stores. Visit the plumbing section and purchase a plumber’s plunger with a short stick. Next, go to the auto section and purchase a gearshift knob. Attach the gear shift knob to the end of the stick opposite the suction cup. Attach the suction cup to the floor of your car and on the right side of the driver (If you are driving in England, affix the suction cup to the left of the driver). You can then “shift” to your heart’s content and there will be no wear on the transmission or its linkage.

Triedaq, that is a very good idea for people who have an automatic but would rather shift gears themselves. (Manual)

That toilet plunger is no where near the same as slipping the stick to neutral without stepping on the clutch. That requires a keen perception on what the car and engine is doing.

Back to automatics, I usually just give the handbrake a yank and sit until the light turns green. I don’t understand why there are drivers who feel the need to shift to park, then flash their brake light and reverse light when the light turns to green. That’s not exactly slick.

laziness