Single loud click from in front of the front seat

So my daughter has a 2013 Hyundai Elantra 4 door with the 4 cyl engine.
Whenever she pulls away from a stop, or applies the brakes, there is a loud singular click heard from under the front of the car.

It seems to high pitched to be a motor mount.
I don’t see a pitch stop for the engine on top.
It’s quite frustrating.
Vehicle has 140,000 miles on it.

Thoughts?

Maybe brake pads installed without the shims. Maybe a stabilizer bar link. Maybe something completely different.

To solve this needs eyes, hands and ear on the car. I can’t do much for vaguely described noises over the internet.

But Thank You for telling us the year, make, model, engine and mileage. So many posts don’t supply this.

1 Like

Definitely not a brake pad problem. Full inspection of those components revealed nothing abnormal (missing hardware, frozen caliper, etc).

I think the sway bar bushing is a good place to look next. The car spent some time on poorly maintained city streets so wear and movement of the sway bar bushings makes sense.

Have someone move the vehicle forward/backward enough to make the noise while watching to see if the front wheel(s) have any forward/rearward movement in the wheel wells (fender), if so it could be the rearward bushings bad (blown out) in the front lower control arms…

Bushing in question…

Lower control arm, bushing is right side of picture…

1 Like

Repeat of prior post:
Singular loud click - Maintenance/Repairs - Car Talk Community

1 Like

Sad part is I saw that 3 days ago (both post), but had forgotten about it until you just posted this…

As I was posting this time I thought hummm it’s Dejavu all over again… :rofl:

(Yes I know what I did, don’t need no english majors correcting me, thank you lol)

1 Like

:crazy_face::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::crazy_face::grin::joy::crazy_face:

(Ten emoji required)

1 Like

If you are a diy’er and know how to do so safely, support the front end on jack-stands, both front wheels off the ground, then put a jack (or lever) underneath each wheel, one at a time, and jack the wheel up slightly looking for play developing in something that shouldn’t have much play. With luck you might even be able to hear a faint sound which you can isolate to a certain interface. Be sure to check the top strut mount as part of the investigation, presuming car is configured with front struts. A broken strut spring is another possibility, but sometimes that problem is very hard to observe, especially for a diy’er.