Silverado Rattling Noise!

I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 that had a rattling noise coming from what I think it the front of the truck. It doesn’t seem to be steering or suspension related. It is noticeable at lower speeds only when hitting a bump in the road. The truck drives great! I’m hesitant about taking it in right away because I don’t want to pay thousands for something that isn’t what the noise is coming from. I put a camera underneath to record the sound and uploaded to YouTube:
Silverado Rattling Noise

Any input and assistance is greatly appreciated!

Check and see if the front sway bar bushings look like this.

If they do, that’s where the rattling is coming from.

Tester

Hi Tester, the bushings on both sides look good. The previous owner may have had them replaced recently.

Thank you!
Tom

sounds High and tinny, I would start with taking a rubber mallet to the exhaust system.

1 Like

Check the stabilizer end links!Capturesiveradoend%20links

Take a rubber mallet under the truck and start tapping around until you discover the noise. That noise is a bit too heavy for an exhaust shield but maybe not for a skid plate.

If not sway bar links, check the torsion bar bushings.

SECURELY AND SAFELY elevate the truck, slide underneath with leather work gloves and safety glasses on, and shake things vigorously. In my opinion that’s the best way to find these type of sounds. Don’t worry, you won’t break anything under the truck. It’s all far tougher than that. Anything that you can break by hand was about to break anyway.

Good idea to check the cat heat shield too when rattling or buzzing noises are a problem. If it is loose, fix that first. Sounds can seem to be coming from somewhere besides their actual source, especially from the passenger compartment.

In my neck of the woods the standard fix for a loose cat-converter heat shield is to get one or two large worm-drive hose clamps at the hardware store and clamp the heat shield to the converter. The clamps will outlast the converter, and it meets the state inspection requirements.

1 Like

My 1999 Honda 's catalytic converter has been so equipped - and quiet - for about 10 years now.

I have had the B pipe replaced twice because they started to buzz, at a lower frequency than heat shield buzz. First time it probably stemmed from bottoming out on a high-crowned hard dirt trail in Montana while laden with canoe and gear.

Check the U-joints on the front drive shaft. Are you driving in Auto 4WD or 2WD hi? Switch between the two and see if that changes the noise.

These trucks tend to wear out the holes that the brake caliper slide pins fit into and then the caliper body will rattle up and down going over bumps, this one smacked me around a bit the first time one came into my shop. Check to see if the rattle goes away when you apply light brake pressure over the bumps. If so then get under the truck and see if the calipers feel loose on the slide bolts. Most part stores now carry new caliper brackets for this reason, Good Luck!

1 Like

1 Week Update: I thought I found the source of the noise. I noticed that the Parking Brake shoes were loose and could easily move with light force. It made a similar ‘tin-can’ noise so I bought a new hardware kit to secure both of the rear shoes.

Initially, the noise went away so I thought I found it but it slowly came back on me after only a day or two. Seems to be something on the rear of the truck. Would a wheel bearing make a ‘tin-can’ sound over bumps?

A failing wheel bearing on your truck would result in a growling noise.

Have you found the problem am having the same noise put new rear end in truck and still having that sound

I’m having the same issue on my 17 Silverado. I got underneath it and looked around under the driver’s side at the suspension are and this is what I saw. I don’t know if this could be the problem or not.

The forum would only allow me to post one pic at a time.