Silverado message center

Why does the message center on my 2002 Silverado 1500 2wd, 6 cylinder pickup display apparently bogus messages? In recent days it sometimes, but not always, flashes the red “battery” icon off and on, at about 5 second intervals. Yesterday, it flashed the amber “low coolant” message just for variety. The other gauges and eyeball inspection under the hood indicate all is fine. Coolant level is up, battery is “green”, belts aren’t slipping, cables are tight and not corroded. The truck has 65,000 miles on it and is silver in color.

It’s because it’s silver in color. Count your lucky stars it isn’t red in color – on those models the wheels fall off at random.

You may want to check your manual to see if those indicators may have more than one meaning. I would have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here. It likely will have a format like P1234.

I read the owner’s manual and then took it to Autozone prior to posting my question, actually. The owners manual says to take it to my Chevy dealer. Autozone said ther is no computer code (check engine light does not come on), therefore, no diagnosis from them.

Be luckey it didn’t flash “Vertical Failure Mode”.
Mine did after the local mechanic dropped it off the lift. Only 600 miles, 400 in delivery. Dealer didn’t order the tires and rims I want so sent it to the local shop the does our work. Young tire monkey dropped it. $11000 damage.