Sidewall on Tires

I wanted to ask if this is normal and acceptable. On multiple cars and over the many years of driving cars, I have noticed that sometimes my tires would have a slight bulge in the sidewall.

I wanted to know what you think, as someone eluded to this coming from hitting potholes on a separate post. So is this likely a manufacturing defect or the result of normal useage. I have seen this on probably 3 of my cars over the years, never having any real negative effects like a blowout or anything.

Just curious. Thanks.

It’s impossible to tell whether what you’re seeing is normal or not without a good photo. Can you post one?

Any bulge on the sidewall is not normal, and I’d replace a tire that had a bulge. Usually caused by hitting potholes, that kind of thing, happens a lot more with low-profile tires.

If you’re referring to what appears to be a crease across the sidewall and which causes the tire to appear to have a slight bulge this is call an undulation and is normal. It’s the result of the manufacturing process, is present from new, and nothing to worry about.

Of course, this would be different from a damaged sidewall bulge which can be dangerous but the 2 types are generally different in appearance.

A tire is “built” from many components and the cord plies, liner, side wall stock and tread are assembled with splices. The overlapping of ply stock will often leave a discernible raised strip in the sidewall.

Hitting potholes can lead to bubbles or manufacturing defects.

Bubbles can lead to tire blow outs. I had a pretty new tire with a very limited road hazard warranty first 2/32" and Continental actually replaced their tire even though 3/32" of wear since it was considered a serious hazard. I only had to pay the mounting fee.

The bubble though stuck out 1/2" out of tire.

There is a slight bulge in all radial tire side walls where the tread rests on the ground. Is that what you mean, or can the bulge be off the ground, like in the wheel well area? If it is the former, this can be exaggerated if you don’t have enough air in the tires. If it is the latter, then there is a defect.