Should I worry about this damage on the sidewalk of my tire?

The picture is attached I just want to know if this is cosmetic or cause for concern I have not been losing psi.

It would be totally wrong for anyone on the web universe to tell you that the tire is safe from a picture that really does not show everything. Frankly sidewall damage means the tire needs replaced . Do you really want to have a tire fail at 60 + MPH in heavy traffic or in an area where it might not be safe to change a tire.

1 Like

The one hole looks fairly deep. But we can’t get a clear view of the inside of it. Have a tire shop check it out.

b388bd9d65ce239cd1f11a5af5ff286b033014ad

1 Like

A 2D picture is tough to make a judgment - it could be a surface scrape or much deeper - it’s tough to tell. I would tend to be a little more safe than sorry; peace of mind is worth quite a bit, and, for me, would be money well spent.

If it was me, I’d kick myself when it did go and I merely wanted to save a few bucks (and for something I will be replacing eventually anyway).

Maybe not, but when you do it might be all at once, 35 to 0 in 0.01 seconds

Can’t tell any more than the last photo. sorry.

Can you measure the depth of the deepest cut?

again, take it to a tire store and have them look at it.

c7039c2b2cf384bbbb2a7fde095ec043acf23aea

It’s the kind of thing nobody wants to take responsibility (liability) for telling you it’s safe. If it were mine I’d probe it with something to find out how deep it is. Then guesstimate by its depth and orientation there are any broken threads. Even then it is up to someone’s judgment. If there are broken threads, it’s likely some distortion of the sidewall would show up. If there is none, I would tell myself not to worry about it. But I would probably still worry, or at least do some watchful waiting…

How close are you (years, miles) to needing new tires?

That is very minor, I see many tires each day with worse damage. If there are no belts exposed don’t worry about the tire.

I tend to agree with @Nevada_545. Look carefully for exposed cords in the deepest part of the tear. If none look carefully at the tire from the side to see if there is any bulging or swelling of the sidewall; not just the torn piece sticking up some but the tire wall actually pushing out some.

If you have a road hazard warranty you might be covered. Check it out. Otherwise, if the tire passed the tests you have done about pressure and what I would do, I would continue to use the tire. What you decide to do is up to you.