Little hoe on the sidewall of the tire

Hey! :slight_smile:
If a sewing pin gets into the sidewall of the tire, the pin itself is very thin but long (the pin goes in about 3mm - 4mm), and it did a very very little hole that hard to see him(like a hole that caused from sewing pin).
is that something that requires a wheel change?

• There is NO tire air outlet

Spray some water on the hole if no bubble’s no problem.

Sidewall tire damage is NOT repairable, so if there is any pressure loss, then the tire should be replaced.
And, even if there is no pressure loss today, the OP needs to check the tire for pressure loss in a few days. Again… if there is pressure loss from a sidewall puncture, the tire needs to be replaced.

3 Likes

Think like a balloon. Any hole is too big a hole. Yes and sidewall holes cannot be repaired because they flex too much. You need a new tire but the wheel should be fine.

I am trying to think how something as light as a needle could penetrate a tire sidewall . I know all kinds of strange things can puncture the tread area .

Yeah I dunno but talking to the tire guys, strange things happen. I once had a 10 penney nail stuck in the side of my VW tire somehow, and one day our driver came back with a scissors stuck in the side of rear dual wheel. Can’t imagine how that happened unless he drove through an art class someplace (which was possible). I had a little nail in my trailer tire and it would lose maybe 10-20 pounds a year as long as it was in there. Kept pumping it up but then finally took a closer look.

I don;t know but once had a 1 inch stip of stapel’'s that was used to put cardbord box’s together completley stuck into a truck tire but was to short to go all the way through the tread. Also I & other’s here have heard & seen weird thing’s stuck through fence post;s telephone pole’s & tree’s from tornados.

Are you sure?
if you will look close to your tire, you will see a little holes that casued because rocks, roads and etc, but the tire is fine…

Hex head went in first.

Back to mapleplus789_156055’s question.

For me, this doesn’t fall into the category of “It’s in the sidewall. Must replace tire” category.

The sewing needle didn’t damage any sidewall belts. The question is: Is the hole large enough to let moisture in to cause rust to the belts? It doesn’t sound like it.

I would welcome seeing @CapriRacer weigh in on this one.

1 Like

A couple of thoughts:

1. The belts are in the tread area. The sidewall NEVER has belts. The fabric in the sidewall area is called “plies” (more precisely: Body Plies) and those same plies also appear in the tread area UNDER the belts.

2. The reason for concern about sidewall punctures is that the sidewall goes through a very complex movement as the tire rolls. For that reason, any cut will tend to grow. The engineering term is “Stress Concentration”. Wikipedia: Stress Concentration

The good news is that cuts just in the surface rubber only tend to grow within the surface rubber and not through into the air chamber. The bad news is that patches tend to detach because of the movement.

There are ways to repair sidewalls, but they are far more costly than a passenger car or light truck tire cost, so they are reserved for expensive tires like mining tires.

So in this case, a hole caused by a sewing needle that didn’t go through ( 4 mm ~ 1.8", and that probably is the thickness of the outside rubber layer ) is nothing to be concerned about.

3 Likes

Strange things like this:

Ty for your comment.
I didnt understand something.
You said that if I will not doing anything about the tire, the damage will be bigger after some time or damage like I have will do nothing to the tire?

Would sealant plug the hole?

Tire sealant is not good for the tire pressure monitors.

The damage will be bigger, but it is very unlikely to ever get to the point where the tire will fail. Odds are, you won’t even notice any worsening.

Yes, but it wouldn’t be worth the trouble as the hole is unlikely to get visibly worse and even if it did, the result won’t be bad enough to cause an actual structural failure.

Just tell her to get off of the tire.

4 Likes

But what if the damage will be dangerous? what could be the worst situation because of this?

the worst possible situation?

You loan your car to a group of nuns that go up the mountain for a day of fun. On the way down, they decide to exceed the speed limit, the tire blows out, and the car full of nuns goes careening of the side of the mountain and lands on a schoolbus full of preschoolers admiring a den of baby seals. the explosion kills everyone and sets the mountain on fire- destroying countless homes.

but more likely is that the needle didn’t cause any damage at all. AS has been suggested- recheck the air pressure in a few days, and if low, get to a tire shop for further diagnoses. Tell them there is a slow leak and to find it. They may find some damage at your needle hole, but I’m with others that have said that they don’t see how a little needle can cause an real issue.

and for the others: I once found a 7/16"s wrench in one of my fleet trucks tires. It wasn’t a Snap-on or a mac, so i didn’t try to save it :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

But if it did damage to the metals into the tire, did i supposed to see something change on the tire after few days?