Should I trade in 2003 Honda Odyssey?

I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey which has been a very dependable vehicle. It now has 94,000 miles and needs new tires plus and additional $1000 in work. It has also started shaking when I get above 55 and the heat is always on unless I have the AC on. Should I spend the $1600 and keep driving or cut my losses and trade it in?

Is the ashtray full too?

Seriously, the new tires (have an alignment doen too) should solve the shaking.

The heat problem may be a simple fix. Theres not enough info here to tell.

And what, exactly, is the $1000 for? If it’s scheduled maintenance, why would you consider that cause to trade?

Cut your losses? What have your losses been?

It’s almost time for a timing belt change. If you stay a away from the dealer you can get this done for a lot less than $1,000.

The shaking will probably go away with new tires. A tire is probably out of balance. Move your back tires to the front and see if shaking changes or goes away.

If you want to save money, you keep what you have. If you are willing to pay more for transportation and just want to buy a newer car, go ahead. You don’t need an excuse. It’s your money.

If you are planning to trade the car, don’t spend the money as the dealer won’t give you ten cents more trade in allowance. If you plan on driving the car for several more years, then $1600 is not out of line. We have a 2003 Toyota 4Runner and I spent about that much at the 60,000 mile check point including new tires. The 4Runner is my wife’s baby, and she wouldn’t consider trading it in. In fact, she keeps it looking like it just came out of the showroom.

Good post, Tridaq; Tom and Ray always tell listeners and readers to compare any repairs to $500 per month car payments.

All the items listed by OP are expected and normal and will be cost-effective if the car is kept in good condition through regular maintenance.

Mamma3; I have a relative who still drives his perfectly reliable 1987 Honda Accord with oiver 300,000 miles on it, although he keeps enough money in short term deposits to write a check for any new car he might buy.

In case you did not know, nearly all cars are designed to consume their original cost (purchase price) in maintenance, repairs and tires over their design lifetime, which is very long for your car! For a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry that is about 300,000+ miles and about 20+ years of use. I hope this puts your repairs into perspective, since you have at least another 13 years of reliable service coming from your current vehicle, all without having to make $6000 per year in car payments.

Keep it

I didn’t realize it could keep going for that long. Good to know. I was thinking it would go for 150,000 max. Thanks for all of your replies.