Should I have two Identical Cars? Benefits in this?

I currently have a 2005 Camry with 160k miles. Does it make sense to get another 2005 Camry with like 30k miles or less on it? I mean given that I have gotten my current car to 160k, perhaps the second car of the same model and year will have all the same problems that the other car did, not much. I would keep my first car sot hat I would have two identical cars. I would drive the car with less miles on it most of the time, and the car with the most miles on it around town for short drives. I see some benefits in having two identical cars. If one gets into an accident, it wouldnā€™t be worth much and probably wouldnā€™t repair it. However I could use it as a parts car. Like I could take the alternator on Car A and put it on Car B. Or lets say I get into an accident with the car with less miles on it and I need a new door. I can take the door of Car A and put it on Car B.

If I like my current car, and I come across an identical car with a lot less miles, than wouldnā€™t it make sense to just get another one?

Have you attempted to locate a 2005 Camry with 30k on it?

It may not exist.

Tester

I have found one with 13,000 miles on it but they want $9,000 for it at a car place not a dealer but a place that sells used cars. Good idea?

Iā€™d buy the Camry with 13k, and sell the Camry with 160k.

Now you have an almost new car thatā€™ll last another 15 years,

Tester

Do you think the price is good? 2005 Camry with 12,000 miles for $9,000 KBB says itā€™s not even in market value, but idk that KBB is accurate for old cars with stupid low miles on them

I tried that routine with one of my collector cars years ago. When I bought it, it came with a low miles parts car. The first time I had to do some work on the ā€˜good carā€™ ( rebuild the automatic transmission) I said to myself ā€œIā€™m not putting in all this labor just to put 30 year old parts back into this transmission caseā€. I think the only time a parts car makes sense is if the good car is so unique that parts are not available.

How many replacement parts can you buy for the price of the duplicate car, and would they be better?

After seven years, the price for a used vehicle is based on miles and condition.

So, itā€™s up to you to determine if itā€™s worth the price, and if it meets your requirements.

How much was your 2005 Camry brand new?

Tester

It looks like it was originally 19,000 to 26,000 depending on all the extra stuff you got on it

Why you would want a 15 year old run of the mill vehicle that may have not been serviced properly is beyond me. You buy it for 9000.00 it gets totaled and you will receive a lot less . Plus a later model vehicle will have much improved safety features .

A 15 year old car with ultra low miles may not have been maintained very well.

Very seldom will an accident be isolated to just the door . And if the vehicles are not the same color and trim level the cost to paint it to match will be several hundred dollars . After you have taken as many parts off one that you can then you still have to dispose of it .
Are you the only one in your household and if not what does your partner think of this rather strange idea.

9K for a 15yr old Camry . . . :thinking:

You ever read ā€œNice Price or Crack Pipeā€ on the car nut website jalopnik.com . . . ?!

They pose questions like this 5 days a week

They would vote Crack Pipe . . . Iā€™m confident about it

I really donā€™t see much benefit to having two of them unless they both provide utility. I had two Rivieras that I bought at different times and were used for several different purposes. As they aged, they were rotated. I also had third Buick with the same engine and transmission. Iā€™ll have to say the benefits were limited except the same factory manual covered all three and once I was able to swap a MAF sensor to test a new one. Other than that, just familiarity was helpful, but if you canā€™t use two, doesnā€™t make sense.

you would be paying a MEGA premium for low miles

And itā€™s still a 15yr old family sedan

Buy something newer with better safety features and higher fuel economy

This is the car here
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=4T1BE32K35U638054&partner=CDM_O

As suggested above, forget that car. Too expensive and too old. Get something 3-4 years old and forget trying for a matched pair.

Save up some money, plus the $9k, sell your car, put say $12k into a much newer Camry, 2012 or newer, 70,000 miles or less.

1 Like

You do realize that Carfax only has what is reported to them donā€™t you ? It could have had an accident that was repaired and not reported or a complete engine overhaul. Have you even seen this thing ? And yes , a place that sells used cars is a dealer just not a new vehicle dealer .

Yes, I am a big fan of ā€œNice Price or Crack Pipeā€. And I agree that even with such low mileage, a 15 year old Camry is not worth $9kā€“and cannot be insured for that much, even if someone is foolish enough to pay that. It would probably garner an 80% or higher ā€œCrack Pipeā€ loss at the $9k asking price. At $6k, it would be a ā€œNice Priceā€.

1 Like