Should I buy my leased BMW or buy a new car

I have a 2008 BMW 335 convertible. It is a very pleasant car to drive and looks awesome. I like the car and so does my wife. The lease will be up in about 6 months.

My car along with many twin turbo beamers had a high pressure fuel valve problem. Over the last year it has been in shop 6 times for major repairs, all under warranty. The fuel valve was replaced. Then I got a series of low engine power readings so the first time the coil on cylinder 1 was changed, then coil on cylinder 5, then they replaced all the coils. Then the catalytic converter went bad and was replaced. The BMW service center said that all were related to the faulty fuel valve. For the past 6 months, it has been problem free.

On the lease contract it says that I can buy out the car at 32K. I like the car, but I am a little skeptical whether the car can remain without major problems. It seems that the problems have been fixed but I’ve had several major repairs on the car already. If I don’t get this car, I can buy a Ford Edge or Buick LaCrosse for a little more. It would be new but I don’t think I would like either of them as much as I like my convertible bmw.

2 questions:

1) should I buy this car or go for a new car?

2) the lease was for 36K miles. I will have about 50K on it by the end of the lease. I know if I give the car back, I have to pay, but if I buy the car, can I negotiate a lower price than the 32K on the lease contract?

Is It Just Me ?
You Are Fortunate That You Don’t Own This Car. Give It Back. I’m Surprised That You Haven’t Learned What Owning This Car Would Be Like.

Warranty or no warranty, congratulations, you’ve had more problems with this vehicle than I’ve had with all seven of our cars over the past ten years.

Don’t torture yourself. Get the Ford or the Buick. Get one with a hole in the roof and you won’t miss that rag top so much.

CSA

Is this car being offered to you as a CPO car? this makes all the difference in the world (factory warranty is extended and car is brought up to CPO standards). Are you familiar with the BMW CPO program?

You are correct BMW is having major problems with the somewhat new direct injection technology, but they are not alone, direct injection is a major automotive technical advancement.

Dump it and get something more reliable with a sliding roof. And I would BUY rather than lease.

You just found out about the best reason not to lease, the mileage penalty fees.
Is this car your primary vehicle?
You are planning on BUYING your next car, right?
What is your budget for the new vehicle, should you chose to get one?
Does it have to be a convertible?

Instead of a Buick LaCrosse, I suggest you consider a 2011 Buick Regal. They should be available for test drives in September or October. The first version will be a little anemic with direct injection I-4 engine (182 HP), but a turbo version will be available around Christmas (220 HP). This engine has been around for a while in the Opel Insignia.

The mileage penalties I don’t care about. My business has been much busier than anticipated. I have more than made up for it. The question I am asking is whether the car will be reliable for another 150k miles? I don’t know whether the faulty high pressure fuel pump that was replaced along with the coils are fixed or whether it is a sign of further trouble to come. Obviously there was an initial design/engineering problem. I am wondering whether I should expect decent reliability from here on?

I have few more months to go so nothing has been offered yet. But they might offer the CPO especially if I push the issue. Do u know if the technology has been corrected?

Just so I have the best info, let me get an update tonight. I think you know that you will not be happy at all getting up in the morning a hopping in a Buick. When I had BMW’s of my owm I really did look for the longest,curviest, most fun road too drive on. At one time it was only BMW that gave drivers this feeling now we have some copycats but mind you they are just copycats.

You do know that if this car gets offered too you as a CPO it will be perfect, just like new? (that is without the “issues” you have faced). You could use these problems you have had as a reason for them to CPO the car for you,have you seen the “what’s done to make a CPO car list”? I will post the list if you want.

A GS model with a a 255 HP turbo I4 and AWD is in the works as well. If the OP’s previous car was a 335i, I suspect even the 220 HP CXL Turbo will seem lethargic. Of course there’s also the Taurus SHO :slight_smile:

Or a new Mustang. Even the v6 model(305hp/280tq) seems like it’d be good enough. Though the GT(412hp/390tq) and Shelby(550hp/510tq) answer the question “how much horsepower is enough?” with “Too much still isn’t enough”

thanks for the list. it is very fun to drive.
i have the feeling that despite the early problems that I had with this car, they should be resolved.
I hate to make decisions on feelings though, but if they extend the warranty to 100K with the CPO program, I may keep it. Which brings me to my 2nd question, can I negotiate a lower price than what is on the contract if I go over the mileage allowance?

LOL. the 335conv is my current car. I hate to say it, but from a driving perspective, there hasn’t been a car i’ve sat in that drives as nice. having said that, i have come to realize that acceleration is overrated. I could get used to a plush car in a while. Plus I now have a motorcycle if I want to go convertible.

I’m looking really hard at the new 5.0L Mustangs. I almost pulled the trigger two years ago and bought a 2008 Bullitt Mustang, but I couldn’t come to an agreement with the dealership, so I just walked away as I didn’t need a new car right then and there. I’m holding out till the 2012 models though, just in case there are some teething problems with the new engine.

As for “How much horsepower is enough?” I think 250 HP per 3000 pounds of car is adequate. With 400 HP per ton of car being excessive.

“The question I am asking is whether the car will be reliable for another 150k miles? I don’t know whether the faulty high pressure fuel pump that was replaced along with the coils are fixed or whether it is a sign of further trouble to come. Obviously there was an initial design/engineering problem. I am wondering whether I should expect decent reliability from here on?”

Never expect better reliability from an aging vehicle than you’ve had from the first stage of its life. You’ve had numerous and recurring serious problems with the car. Expect more.

If you buy the car anyway, you may or may not be able to negotiate a lower price. Nothing prevents you from trying. Whether you succeed will depend laregly on the market at that time.

The the Ariel Atom isn’t for you. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah, not practical enough. Although I do know a guy with a Lotus 7 replica kit car. Haven’t had the chance to drive it yet though.

Yes, definitely check out the Buick Regal.

Why the Regal over LaCrosse? the new lacrosse looks nice.

If you like the handling of BMW, you’ll prefer the handling of the Regal over the Lacrosse. The Regal is the same car as an Opel sold in Europe. Sportier handling and looks than the Lacrosse.