Should I buy a Willys?

He made several with Willy’s Jeeps. But this the one you were referring to.
maudlin
http://www.ewillys.com/2009/03/31/bill-maudlins-willys-cartoons/

Bad news: I’m getting older.
Good news: I’m getting older.

1 Like

After WW2, new ones in the crate were available really cheap by bidding on surplus. A buddy got one for a $50 bid. When he opened the crate at the bid location, he found that the wheels were missing. There were some complaints of various missing assemblies in the crated units but there were no opportunities for inspection on the surplus bids and you had limited time to remove the stuff or forfeit the bid deposit. Those units had a top speed of 60 mph. Another problem was parts. Apparently there were a lot of versions and the parts were not interchangable.

Back in the 50’s seems to me there were ads in Popular Mechanics from time to time for Jeeps still in crates for pretty little low dollars-don’t remember. I suppose it might have been investors that had bought a whole bunch of them.

Not to change the subject but I remember the neighbor kid got a brand new 2 cycle Clinton engine for his go kart for something like $5 in an ad in the same magazine. I thought it was a scam but he had more money than me so sent for one. Sure enough a brand new engine. Must have been surplus from somewhere. I’m not sure what happened to Clinton. They used to be a popular brand competing with Briggs for lawn mowers etc. Mid to late 50’s.

I remember those advertisements.
In fifth grade we were required to write a business letter responding to an advertisement or business in magazines. One of the guys found an ad for a catalog that also sent you a hunting 4 in blade knife for $.25.
He got it, so of course all of us sent for one. I remember the knife, but not what the catalog sold.
Back to Jeeps and. WWII vehicles. When I first got a close up look at a WWII MB, I was surprised to see how small it was compared to my ‘72 CJ5. My CJ5 was fine as a daily driver, though I never drove it on a trip of more tha 200 miles.

They declared bankruptcy in 1966 and finally closed in 1999. You can visit the museum, and it isn’t all that far from you.

http://clintonengines.com/

Heh heh. Couple hundred miles. I dunno if she could take another museum or not. Tolerated the Studebaker museum but that was a stretch. Maybe tie it in with the Hoover Library.

That’s kinda like me going to NYC and I’ve done that to see a show. We drove to the bus stop and let them do the driving.