Shopping for 4-seater convertible with retractable hardtop?

Are you aware of a current model 4 seater convertible with a retractable hardtop? I’m looking to buy one in '09, and would like help searching for the “right” model.

My best advice is to AVOID the Chrysler Sebring hardtop convertible. In addition to being very mediocre in terms of performance, it has the absolute worst record for reliability of any new car sold in the US. (And people wonder why Chrysler is in dire straits?)

There are more and more of these on the market every day, mostly from the European manufacturers. Try Volvo, Audi, VW, and BMW.

I think Lexus will have one on the market very soon, too.

As VDCdriver said, don’t be tempted by the low price of the Sebring. You get what you pay for.

Excellent advice from you both!..and well-taken. Thanks so much for your help! Happy New Year!!

One other option - I think the Pontiac G6 is available like this. Not a great car, but much cheaper than the Volvo or BMW, roomier than the VW. But reliability’s poor. The BMW would be the most fun, the Volvo maybe more practical. I just don’t find the VW very attractive…

Consider the Volvo C70. Good looking, enough power to be fun, and quite safe. My mom absolutley loves hers.

The G6 might not have the best reliability, but I believe that it is still superior to one of those sad Sebrings.

JD Power predicts reliability to be better than most. That’s good in my book.

Tell us how much you want to spend, and whether you want a new or used car. That will help us narrow the list down.

I want to “piggy-back” onto this discussion. I have a 2008 G6 convertible, and really love driving it. I recently got 30.3 mpg going from Los Fresnos to San Antonio, and it has plenty of passing torque. Has the standard 3.5 liter engine. It’s in the shop now with 16,000 miles because the plastic panel behind the rear window doesn’t seat properly when the top goes down. It’s covered under warranty, but I wonder if any other G6 owners have had this problem - the mechanic says it’s a real headache to work on, so I wonder if I should get an extended warranty in case it happens again.

Stop by the bookstore on the way home and get a Consumer Reports New Car Buyers’ Guide. It’ll show you all the options and give you lots of good information about each.