Shifting Automatic Transmission to Neutral at lights

Could this practice cause a problem with a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer 34K where it now slips into neutral unexpectedly when I have to brake hard? A family member does this at lights when driving and now having trouble with car going into neutra when I have to stip short. Thanks for helping a female with limited car knowledge.

Well, it’s really not a good idea to do that. It does not reduce wear on the transmission if that’s what this “family member” is thinking…it’s actually more likely to wear it faster, as the clutches are being slammed together every time it’s put back into Drive. Auto transmissions were designed to be left in gear at stops; if this person insists on putting it into Neutral at stops they need to get a manual-trans vehicle.

That said, it’s hard to be sure that doing this has triggered the problem with losing drive after a hard stop. About all you can do is check the fluid level and see if it’s in good condition, as well as at the proper level. More than that will require diagnosis by a trans shop. Might not be a bad idea to take it to one and have them hook up a scanner to the transmission, and find out if it’s stored any codes.

Thanks -sorry for the typos in the original post - I will be in the vicinity of the dealership tomorrow so I guess I will ask them to do what you recommended - scan the transmission - hope it is not too expensive.

Thanks -sorry for the typos in the original post - I will be in the vicinity of the dealership tomorrow so I guess I will ask them to do wht you recommended - scan the transmission - hope it is not too expensive.