Shifter/Transmission Problem

Today, I parked my 2003 S-Type on a slight incline at a parking lot. When I let off the brake, the car started to roll back. So, I tried to put it into “Drive”, and it still rolled back. None of the shift selections would engage, and eventually, it backed to a curb in the parking lot and stopped. I turned off the engine and tried to restart, but although all lights, radio, etc. came on, it would not restart. I can move the shifter through all positions, but none seem to engage. I tried to “rock” the car, but that did not help. I could not release the parking brake manually. So, I called a tow truck - had the Jag taken to the Dealer. As of yet I have not heard from them, but I am very curious - what are possible things which could cause the to happen? I just would like to be prepared - thanks.

Perhaps the shift linkage broke as you went from R to P and P wasn’t engaged when it broke. With the transmission in R, it can’t start because it isn’t in P or N. Why did you try other gears as it started to roll instead of jamming on the brakes?

I can only add that the dealer may not be the best place to bring your car if it is not covered under a manufacturer’s warranty.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.

chunky azian - I didn’t explain it properly - I DID use the brake between shifting from gear to gear. That wasn’t the problem. My problem turned out to be:

“72936 shift cable attachment bolt fell out 1.0 hours install new bolt - clear codes and test”. The charge was for one hour of labor only.

Joseph E Meehan - I fortunately have an extended warranty policy (non-deductible) which covered this and the tow charge of $119. I agree with your post, but the difficult part about your advice is finding a good independent sometimes.

Thanks for your posts - I feel relieved this morning - total time from tow-in to completion and return of Jag was 3 hours. Thanks.

I’m glad things worked out for you and it always nice to hear back from a poster how things went. It’s usually a different story for most Jag posts.

Ed B.