Shall I replace strut?

Funny, I was at a Tenneco (Monroe) training thingy on struts and shocks years ago and the guy said “the reason manufactures put warranty’s on parts is because they can fail”… lol

2 Likes

I thought that price was higher than I remembered but the kit of four of the oe spectrum is about $200. I like the quick struts since everything is replaced. I have replaced struts before and the soon after having to go back and replace the upper mount.

Edit: for my Pontiac that is.

Used to disassemble the strut but no more. Buying the unit is not that much more expensive, is faster and safer. Agree with everyone-replace in pairs.

lol. … that’s like saying “the reason people buy raincoats is b/c it rains and they don’t want to get wet” … true enough, but not particularly informative . Experts sometimes talk nonsense for some reason. Years ago I heard an expert say in front of a group of very medical-science educated audience: “Everyone will die of cancer if they don’t die of something else first” … lol

I shut up this salesperson once when he kept going on about extended warranties. How can you not buy something that allows you to sleep better at night knowing you’re covered when it fails? Apparently I have more faith in your products than you do…

5 Likes

:grinning:Good one. :grinning:

It was the main warranty that you get with almost every new part you buy, he meant any product you buy has a warranty because it could fail, just like a new car and it’s warranty…

Nothing to do with aftermarket or extended warranty’s… lol

1 Like

I understood. My post was just adding to the discussion in general…

1 Like

I had the same car a few yrs ago and around the same mileage I needed 4 struts and I was cheap, so went with Unity complete struts for all 4 corners and DIY installation. One unit was noisy and they replaced it but otherwise I was happy to 180K+ miles when I sold the car.

1 Like

I just tore down a newer strut and top mount is in pieces. Has a clunk on bumps. I removed end links and no difference. Strut body is not rusty at all. Still has aftermarket decal pieces on top nut. I got a genuine gm top mount. Well, it is supposed to be gm.

That seems to confirm it’s best to install a “quick strut” assembly, instead of working harder and trying to save a few bucks

2 Likes

I have no idea who supplied my newer struts. I just know the top mount was broken before the strut body could rust much.

If you are keeping it then yes replace both of them , shocks arent that much for the rear . If you have extra money then do all four .

On the bright side Monroes are guaranteed for life if something happens to them . I did have one of the springs break on a OE Spectrum strut assembly and had to replace it and it wasnt all that old. Things happens . You fix it and move on .

1 Like

I have 2005 Camry, mine haven’t leaked yet, probably soon

21 years on the originals

I would only buy just the strut and boot if you got OEM ones which lasted 21 years

But if you buy aftermarket assemblies every 2 years (someone had mentioned this estimate) and got a $99 alignment on top of that every time…

Aftermarket assemblies as cheap as $50 a piece to $150, so let’s just call it $100

Two aftermarket assemblies + alignment
$200 + $100 = $300
And you said you want at least another 5 years so that’s $600

The Toyota part for just the strut is $190
Two Toyota struts + alignment
$380 + $100 = $480
Add in aftermarket boot for the one that is torn
Will last you way more than 5 years, your old ones last you 21 years

So getting the Toyota struts might actually be cheaper in a five year time period given the life expectancy of the parts for the two options

If the parts you’re buying only last 2 years before failure, you’re apparently buying garbage

3 Likes