Service light on 66 plate Peugeot 308 coming on weeks after a service

Quit nitpicking George , that is UK terminology where here is the US we would write 2016 .

So you would know the age of the vehicle.

You have been reading all those British auto periodicals, you should be familiar with vehicle dating.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s a fair question, but it’s really just to specify the year and therefore the variant of the vehicle. Saying 66 or 16 plate is basically a common way in the UK of saying 2016 model.

2 Likes

I see. So in the UK you wouldn’t simply say your car was a 2016? Is the common UK nomenclature for a 2016 car’s model year either 16 or 66? You wouldn’t just say 2016? The reason I’m curious is b/c on a 7 year old car, doesn’t seem like it would really matter if it is 7 1/2 years old or just 7 years.

Pardon my curiosity on this topic OP. I don’t even understand common UK currency phrases, like what a shilling is, as referenced to a Pound, and if a Pound refers to the weight of something of value, what?

… and why do the Red Coats in front of Buckingham Place wear those big hats?

Do you regret asking for advise on Car Talk?

If OP is still around, curiosities abound, like what’s the difference between a “quid” and a “sovereign”? I’m currently reading a PD Wodehouse book about Wooster and Jeeves, and these terms are used.

1 Like

I guess George has never heard of that recent thing called Google .

3 Likes

lol … years ago I was interested in dating someone I knew from my gym, originally she was from the UK. She seemed interested in the idea at first, until one day I asked her to explain UK money terminology. Apparently this is a topic best avoided in UK dating circles.

Don’t really have any interest in the reason for the big red hats though.

1 Like

The only one I read with any regularity is Practical Classics. I don’t recall ever reading the term “66 plate” in that periodical. When they refer to a car w/ the 2016 model year, they’d just refer to it as a “2016”.

1 Like

If he was posting in a UK-only forum, it would likely be relevant, due to the strict MOT regulations in that country.
In The US–where many people interpret any type of gov’t regulation to be unnecessary–it probably doesn’t translate very well.
:thinking:

1 Like

No, but he might regret asking for advice.
:wink:

2 Likes

The short answer is, I don’t know! I’m sure we’re all aware brands usually change up/refresh a model around every three to six years, and it’s possible that change happens mid-year instead of end/start of year. So logically it might follow that a 66 plate might differ mechanically to a 16 plate and face different issues. That’s a total guess on my part though.

1 Like

Definitely possible, could also be important to differentiate mid-year changes in manufacturing. My USA built Ford truck’s transfer case design changed slightly mid-year, creates some confusion in the repair manuals.

1 Like

It’s Jeeves and Wooster in that order where I come from! There’s a classic TV version of it with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie. Might be worth watching if you like the books.

Yes, I plan on watching some of those vdos, finding the books very fun, a lot of grins, relaxing reads. The only thing more relaxing is Best of Car Talk podcasts; its like a sleeping pill … not in a negative way, definitely not boring, just find the podcasts a very relaxing listen. I usually have to listen to them 2 or 3 times before I hear the entire program :wink:

1 Like

It WAS 1/20 of One Pound Sterling, until it was phased-out… more than 20 years ago.

Hint: “Common” and “Shilling” don’t belong in the same sentence… in the 21st Century.
:smirk:

I’ve always thought of a shilling as being appx the same as a nickel. Sherlock Holmes would give a shilling each to the boys who would sometimes help him solves his cases, by for example finding where a particular boat is docked along the river. when I read that I’d think “spend all day looking for a boat and only getting a nickel in pay”? …lol …

I’ve only been in the Heathrow airport changing planes, never toured any part of the UK. But I’d like to someday. For some reason I’m attracted to the Manchester and Lakes District areas.

Those are on my agenda for my next trip(s) to The UK. My mother’s family migrated to Manchester after leaving London around the end of the Industrial Revolution, and I would like to see where they lived in Manchester. I already saw where they lived in the worst section of the Whitechapel District in the East End of London. Luckily, they left before Jack The Ripper roamed those dark streets.

1 Like

I won’t speak about Manchester. However, I will suggest Lake Windermere for your trip to the lake district. Beautiful area, and some incredible restaurants nearby. Try Cartmel and Holbeck Ghyll. In fact, watch season 1 of The Trip with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon to see that whole area in all its glory.

1 Like