Serpentine Belt

I'm working on an 04 Nissan Titan with 73k(the little lady's ride). I just replaced the belt tensioner which was squeeling and figured while I'm there, I might as well change the serpentine belt. In the process of replacing the belt, I managed to damage it due to trying to muscle it on.

After chasing another one down before the parts houses closed early, I managed to get one. Ran out of daylight so I’ll tackle this in the A.M.

My question is… Is there some techniche I can use to install this belt so I don’t mess the other new one up? Any suggestions would come in handy and be appreciated.

Merry Christmas…Charlie

Look at:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-engine-transmission-drivetrain/60994-help-replacing-drive-belt.html

Dont know if this was mentioned at that xlnt link that wentwest gave, but on some cars -like my 95 Taurus- the only way to get the belt on was to make the last “wrap” around the smooth sided idler pulley.

You need this tool: http://www.autozone.com/R,2627640/store,1140/shopping/accessoryProductDetail.htm

After thinking about the whole thing, I don’t beleive the tool will be of any help. I think I may have gotten the incorect belt. After winding it through all the pulleys according to the diagram, it only goes halfway around the alternator pulley which is the easiest accessible. I will match it to the existing belt to see.
After goin thru some of the threads at the Titan site, It seems that the belt should slide on with hardly any effort. Even with the tensioner fully extended, it is nowhere even close to going on. I’ll put the original back on and research further when the parts store open back up and keep all posted.

a carpenters rule comes to mind…measure twice cut once… in the auto world…always take the old belt with you when getting another… is one I always try to remember when getting a new one.

dont know your specific tensioner. they usually have one of three methods to relax them to get it in position to put on the new belt.

either has

1. a square hole in the body to insert either a 3/8 or 1/2" ratchet into the hole to twist on.

2. a square nub on a side accessible to get an appropriate wrench on to twist on.

3. a set of holes to put about an 1/8" pin through to hold the tensioner in the compressed position, so when the belt is put on you pull the in out with a small visegrip to let the tensioner go against the belt. this can be set up off the engine on the work bench so you dont have to get your fingers jammed under the hood.

your comment about the belt not fitting. are you certain that it is on ALL the pulleys, with the grooves seated fully, and between all the pulley cheeks? this sounds like it is not fully seated to me.

Good News:

It seems like the bonehead (which would be me) that was putting in the belt noted that after further review, he was not following the diagram accurately. Once the correct routing was done, it went right in. Thanks all…Now off to do the brakes.

Well, as they say, “To er is human”.