Serpentine belt replacement on 1990 nissan

I HAVE A 1990 NISSAN AXXESS MINIVAN IN NEED OF A SERPENTINE BELT REPLACEMENT. THE OLD ONE SHREDDED WHILE DRIVING. LOOSENED THE ALTENATOR AND MOVED IT AS FAR AS IT WOULD GO BUT WAS NOT ABLE TO FIT THE NEW BELT AROUND THE PULLEY. LOOSENED THE TENSIONER PULLEY BUT NO HELP.JUST WONDERING WHAT I’M MISSING. I THOUGHT I WOULD HAVE ENOUGH ROOM TO FIT THE BELT BUT IT SEEMS TO NEED APPX. 1/4" MORE TO CLEAR OVER THE LIP OF THE LAST PULLEY. THE BELT WRAPS AROUND THE ALTENATOR,WATER PUMP, POWER STEERING PUMP AND TENSION PULLEY. TRANSVERSE MOUNTED ENGINE. TIGHT QUARTERS.ANY ADVICE? THANX!

I had the very same problem the first time that I changed the belt on my 95 Taurus.

The only way the belt would fit was if I made the last wrap around an idler pulley which did’nt have a lip on each side.

Try that & see if it works.

hey ranger thanx for the tip. i’ll give it a shot & see how it works out. measured the old and new belt and the old is about 1" longer. new ones run appx. 51". extra length on old belt could be due to stretching over time. it looked like original nissan belt.

I don’t think it would have stretched that much. See if you got the right belt.

hey alan thanx for the post. it turned out the belt listed was the wrong size. got a 52" and it fit perfect. in the process of trying to fit the old one i loosened a tensioner pulley and retightened after installing the new belt. it’s a fixed pulley with a smooth surface where the back of the serpentine belt rides. it has a bolt in the center and a nut that loosens up. you can turn the tensioner counter clockwise and loosen it even more to help fit the belt. didn’t make a note of how tight it was before i started messing w/ it. should the tensioner be able to turn after i tighten the nut? and should it be tightened after i position the altenator where i want it tension wise? right now it seems to be keeping the belt on track but it’s causing it to smoke after a few seconds. again thanx for the help you guys. really appreciate it. lou