Serious vibration at 55 mph

I have a 1999 Saab 9-3 that has developed a significant vibration telegraphed through the steering wheel when it hits 55 mph. The vibration goes away once it hits 65 or so. Also when it’s traveling slowly, under 10 mph or so, there is an ever so slight twitch in the steering wheel. Does this sound like a bad tire or something more involved?

Thanks!!

The first suspect in such a situation is usually an out of balance tire. The tire tread could also be starting to separate. How many mkiles on the tires?

I would take it in to a good front end and suspension shop to diagnose the probblem. If you take it to a tire chain they will likley want to sell you new tires before even attempting to do some tests.

With some luck it will be an out of balance tire.

The high-speed symptom does sound like a tire that is out of balance.
However, if you can feel a twitch in the steering while driving slowly, that is more indicative of a tire with a slipped belt or other internal defect.

Since an internal tire defect is a significant safety issue, I urge you to take Doc’s suggestion, and to drive to a front end shop (NOT a chain operation, please!) for evaluation of the problem a.s.a.p.

I’m not sure how many miles are on these tires, but the tread still looks pretty good. I bought them from Wal-Mart, and I’m pretty sure I had this vibration issue before when I replaced those Wal-Mart tires. In this case and the previous, I still had some warranty left on them, but I’m starting to wonder if it’s an issue with Wal-Mart tires.

“I’m pretty sure I had this vibration issue before when I replaced those Wal-Mart tires”

Just how long have you been driving with this high-speed vibration?

“I’m pretty sure I had this vibration issue before when I replaced those Wal-Mart tires”

That would indicate the problem is NOT the tires. Look for worn suspension components.

Probably for about 3 months now.

Sorry, I don’t think my statement was clear. With the first set of Wal-Mart tires, they were fine, and then started the vibration thing. When I replaced those, the vibration went away initially, but now it’s back

If that was an attempt to clarify the statement…I’m thinking it didn’t work.