Selling a five speed manual?

What are the avenues to sell a five speed manual? I have tried craigslist , and at close to KBB value for my 45000 two owner 2007 Chevy cobalt, there are not too many takers…in fact no one has contacted me at all.

How do I get the best value while selling my car?

Ebay is not too bad, street car for sale signs work also, how does your price compare in the blue book value, fsbo?

You can also try Craigslist, and local classifieds.

Don’t put much faith into price guides as those are often too optimistic and not real world.
You did not state which model and trim package along with condition (it is NOT excellent) but the KBB shows about 10 grand for an '07 Cobalt.

Completed auctions on eBay shows '07 Cobalts going for 5-7 grand or less. So how much are you asking for this thing?

This is where reality sets in - if you’re not getting takers at the price you list, the price is too high.

I’m in the same situation since I took a job in China. My family can’t drive nor sell my car. Those who can buy a car can’t drive a stick. Those who test drove it couldn’t afford it.

Cobalt is not a high-demand vehicle, even thought it is well made. If it does not sell at a certain price, lower the asking price. It is not the stick shift that is keeping buyers away, it is the almighty $$$.

Generally, if you set the price right, it will sell quick. I have never had any problem selling cars. If you expect to get more than it is really worth, then you can expect to have a little trouble finding a buyer, but if you set a low price, it will move.

Keep in mind what you believe is a fair or low price when selling may not be what you or anyone else might think of as a good price when buying.

I would guess my average time selling a car would be about 5 days. I consider that old car as just something to get out of my driveway. Most of the time I have sold it without even posting a price or newspaper ad.

I read somewhere that 85% of new cars sold today are automatic. Most people don’t know how or don’t want to drive a stick. This forum is a car enthusiast forum so you probably won’t get a representative figure to support the 85%, but just look around a bit, mall parking lot or whatever . . . most people drive automatics and this limits your market. I’m currently teaching my Son to drive and he’s learning to drive on both types. None of his friends drive a manual and this makes him an eager student. An added benefit for me is that none of his buddies will be borrowing his (my) car. Rocketman

Manual Transmissions Are Favored By Some Drivers. However, The Vast Majority Of Car Buyers Need One Like They Need Tap Dance Lessons.

Unfortunately, this is where the decision to purchase a manual transmission car comes back to bite you.

There are buyers out there for this car. They are just fewer and farther between. Remember the deal you got on this car when you bouhgt it ?

I can’t remember. What got your attention and attracted you to this car when you bought it (I remember the below market price tag) ?

Commuting college students may be your best market and to move it you may have to be willing to adjust the price downward. That transmission narrows your market considerably.

I have one car in my family fleet with a four on the floor and no cup holders. I can’t drive it in the morning because I have to consume approximately a gallon of coffee during my commute. The car’s a pain in the butt. Give me a quiet, comfortable, automatic, with outstanding stereo, at least until noon.

CSA

My shortest time to sell a vehicle was ~ 3 minutes. I had a “Call XXX-XXXX” placard on it, with the asking price, and I’d walked no further than a block back towards the house when I got a call. He offered a low price, I said no thanks, the posted price it what it’s selling for. He said OK…I turned around, walked back, and did the deal.

It’s all about cost. Price it right, and it’ll go. Park it someplace conspicuous so all those students walking around can see it, too. Often they’ll buy it with the decision to learn to drive the manual in their head.

I have found it easier to sell an older, cheap car than a newer car, even though the newer car may be in excellent condition. I had a 1965 Rambler that was had gone a lot of miles and when I went to trade it in back in 1973, the dealer actually sold me the 1971 Ford Maverick that I wanted to buy less than if I had traded the Rambler–$2000 straight out or $2200 difference if I traded the Rambler. I put at advertisement in the paper for $295. The first person that looked at it loved the car. She had counted her pennies and with insurance and registration, she couldn’t pay more than $250. When I said that I thought I had priced the car correctly, the tears started to flow and she said she would have to look for a less expensive car. I asked her if she could get the $250 that day. Her face brightened up and she said she would go right to the bank. The car was gone that morning. Two years later, I saw her driving the car. I cancelled the ad right away, but I had calls about that car for two weeks.
On the other hand, we had to sell my wife’s parents’ 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis. It had been meticulously maintained and looked like it just came from the showroom. This was in 2003. The only call I got was from a dealer who wanted me to trade it in for a new car. I finally sold it to my neighbor way under book price. About the same time, I sold my 2003 Oldsmobile 88 that was in excellent condition for a really low price. However, whar I saved by selling the Oldsmobile outright rather than trading it in for the 4Runner we purchased, I came out ahead. My reasoning is that if you can sell a car for cash even though the amount is well under the book price, take it.

You must have a bulletin board of some sort at Rice University. You’re there, right? Try advertising it there. How does your asking price compare to advertised prices in Houston? You might be asking too much. Edmunds says a car like yours, if it is an LS, would sell for around $7200 near me. Check NADA, too.

Guys. Take a look at my ad and tell me how I should change it. I have priced it at 7000$ and that is a fair price for it, today. I am inserting my ad here, that I have posted on Houston craigslist. I have put in a link to a blog with a video walk around of the car as well.

=============================================

Folks,

I have a 2 owner (I am the second owner), dealer maintained, Chevrolet Cobalt 2007.

Its got new tires, and 45,000 miles.

Aftermarket alarm system with central locking. Dark black tinted windows. Viper steering wheel lock, and it has not been ever stolen or broken into. All the parts are stock and no repairs have been made.

Still under warranty from the dealership. 5 years and 100,000 miles powertrain warranty.

Title in hand.

5 speed manual transmission, with 150 hp.

Gives me, personally, 37 mpg highway, and 23 mpg city.

For a video walkaround of the car and details about the maintenance that I have gotten done at Allen Samuels Chevrolet.

Asking for KBB value - 7000 $

Folks. Where ELSE can I advertise? I am leaving for India on 25th November, so I will sell it and would like to complete the sale the week preceding. Carmax has offered me around 5000$ for the car.

autotrader?

green sheet?

BTW just for the sake of disclosure, I’m from India…and I have loved cars in the United States…what a wonderful , open country we have here!

I Believe You Are Sort Of “Up Against The Wall” (Time Constrained) Rather Than In A Position To Try And Get Top Dollar For It. This Sometimes Happens.

I would definetely include some verbage about “leaving country, must sell,” “best offer,” “price negotiable, must sell,” etcetera.

You need to keep a bottom line price in mind. What’s the least you will take ? (don’t tell us, it’s secret . . . think lower than $7,000).

What’s worse ? Getting a little less from the sale or owning the car and title as you are leaving the country ?

CSA

@houstonrice

Your best bet is to drop the price. It always works. You still might find a buyer on campus, but you need to drop the price. I suggest that you try about $700 over trade-in cost. That way someone can still negotiate down and you will still get at least trade-in. $700 is half way between trade-in and private seller price according to Edmunds.

It’s all about timing and location. Trying to reach the right buyers is a guessing game some times. I would include a local college bulletin board. College students are adventurous souls and even those weaned on an auto will give it a try. Farming areas have kids brought up on equipment that make them suited as well as rural kids with their off roading. Motor cycle clubs are not all shiftless and find the need to occasionally get in out of the rain.

Find away to reach these specialized groups and don’t expect many inquires from city dwellers.

BTW, if everyone danced a little more CSA, we would all be a lot healthier. American men are blind to this fact while the rest of the world revels in it’s advantages over watching the tube too much.

"BTW, if everyone danced a little more CSA, we would all be a lot healthier. American men are blind to this fact while the rest of the world revels in it’s advantages over watching the tube too much. "

Interesting. Help me form a little better picture in my mind. What color are your tap shoes and tutu ?

:wink:
CSA