Seems VW has yet ANOTHER problem

Thanks, JT. I wish they could figure a way to retrofit a urea system, but it seems doubtful. One of the car mags had an article on it this month and they showed just how many differences there are between an exhaust system with urea injection and what the Golf/Jetta has now. There are several additional exhaust parts (big ones), as well as the urea tank and piping. I doubt the EPA will require a retrofit that would likely cost thousands and eat up a bunch of trunk space, at a minimum. Luckily, the number of cars is modest enough that the additional emissions won’t be noticeable. I was suspicious of VW from the time they introduced these cars. Everyone seemed to think something like urea injection was the only way to go and VW makes a few minor changes and says good enough.

The cost of the urea itself is something like two cents per mile which wouldn’t make me happy. Its like $37 a gallon but maybe with volume now it’ll be cheaper.

$10/gallon at Amazon

I’m Not Justifying What Volkswagen Has Done. However, With More And More Government Regulations Restricting Every Aspect Of Our Lives, Violations, Lawsuits, Recalls, Fines, Penalties, Accusations, Errors, Anxiety, Stress, Wasted Time, Wasted Money, Disappointments, Etcetera, Will Become More Numerous.

Some “Mistakes” Will Be Intentional And Many Inadvertent.

Even as a rural homeowner it’s becoming more difficult to do nearly everything without either violating a township, county, state, or federal regulation or wondering if I have. Our local government here spends almost all its time and tax payer money on writing new regulations, revamping old ones, rewriting job descriptions to match so that wage increases are necessary, holding public hearings on citizen requests to do nearly anything involving privately owned property, etcetera.

We can already watch the news to learn the Soup-du-jour Big Brother Insubordination-du-jour.
When the pool is filled with regulations it becomes difficult for one not to drown in them.

CSA

A lot of these law are written in response that someone done that is so egregious that laws are passed so no one does it again. People think they have the RIGHT to do what-ever they want on their own property. And they do…TO A POINT. When your actions impede on me and my family…then you’ve crossed a line. We had this old cook at one of the town meetings complaining about a fine he got for dumping his used motor oil in the back of his house. Anyone with an IQ over 90 knows that the oil will MIGRATE and can easily pollute grown water for MILES. But because it’s HIS property…he feels he has the right to do whatever he wants.

Gotta agree with CSA but then there is a tipping point where folks revolt and throw the people out for a while. Have to realize though there is an interest group pushing for everything like environmental changes, energy, etc. and of course some who think we all would be better off with no cars and riding bikes and buses. Then there are people that are trying to give farm land back to Indian tribes. There’s a group and a lawyer for everything.

Many Regulations Are Really Just Another Name For Tax.

A few years ago we got a new state law requiring the registration of canoes/kayaks, which had until that time been left out of boat registration requirements. Many competitive canoe and kayak owners in state objected to putting ugly stickers on their vessels, primarily expensive hand-made carbon fiber and wooden boats. I worked with one of the upset individuals. Others objected to one more tax and regulation.

After much protesting and complaining these folks had to pay the fine tax registration fee, buy the stickers, and apply them to their vessels. Many vessels had inadequate freeboard to attach numbers to in order to complete complying with law. So, many just stuck the unsightly stickers anywhere on top of any part of hull available and they could not be seen to most observers, which defies one of the tenets of the new tax registration process, but what could one do?

This went on for months with boaters complaining, paying, and still not being able to comply. So, after many people got the ugly tax registration stickers attached the lawmakers repealed the law!

During this entire time that canoes and kayaks were taxed registered I saw no benefit to the safety or well being of the citizens, nor did I read anything to the contrary.

CSA

Anyone with an IQ over 90 knows that the oil will MIGRATE and can easily pollute grown water for MILES.

I have an IQ well under 90, and even I know that this is a silly statement.

I have an IQ well under 90, and even I know that this is a silly statement

Still waiting for you to say something useful.

During this entire time that canoes and kayaks were taxed registered I saw no benefit to the safety or well being of the citizens, nor did I read anything to the contrary.

Oh I agree…there are MANY laws like that - they are there just to raise revenue.

CSA was talking about a symptom, not the problem. The problem is that there are not enough revenues to keep the government running. This is not a plea for taxes, but a rational review of the services the government provides and whether those services should be provided. If the cost of desired services still exceeds revenues, we will have to figure out how to pay for them.

This is not a plea for taxes, but a rational review of the services the government provides and whether those services should be provided.

One thing I like about NH over NY. NY has very high taxes…but they have a lot more services… NH has taken thrifty a bit too far in some areas…especially with education. Somewhere between NH and NY is a good compromise in services the govt should provide.