Seems VW has yet ANOTHER problem

^Enough to pay to have the old mapping reflashed afterwards, plus a tidy profit?

It always makes me smile when somebody is smart enough to “job” the system! Like when various gov’ts would hold “$50 no-questions-asked gun buybacks,” and enterprising sorts would make a fistful of zipguns (@ $20 per) and get paid :smiley:

I doubt that the fix will be voluntary in the USA. If it is voluntary, then other manufacturers can lobby for voluntary fixes of other problems that breech the law.

^Why would the fix NOT be voluntary? Heck, why would it be federal?

The law VW broke applies to sellers (and a few others) of new cars. It does NOT apply to consumers. Consumers have to meet emissions standards of state/county where they live…frequently nothing.

There is no provision for emission testing (for diesels) in PA; furthermore, it is written into law that “no state money may be allocated to emissions testing, except as mandated by federal law,” i.e. it’s expressly prohibited for PA legislature to “go rogue” and invent ways to inspect vehicle emissions.

Now, what about this scenario shouts “the Feds will be knocking on your door?”

@meanjoe75fan

Tommy Lee Jones, Wesley Snipes, and the rest of the US marshals will be knocking on your door :grin:

^Gee, I thought Snipes was on the receiving end of that setup…

^Why would the fix NOT be voluntary? Heck, why would it be federal? The law VW broke applies to sellers (and a few others) of new cars. It does NOT apply to consumers. Consumers have to meet emissions standards of state/county where they live...frequently nothing.

It’s against FEDERAL LAW to modify or remove any emission device installed on you vehicle. I can easily see the Feds mandating this gets fixed.

It's against FEDERAL LAW to modify or remove any emission device installed on you vehicle.

No emissions device was modified or removed.

^Bingo!

I can’t take the cat off my car…but if “it was like that when I showed up!”…well, that’s a different matter, requiring skilled parsing of legal phrases.

The CAA might prohibit “make inoperative”; but does it require deliberate action?

No emissions device was modified or removed.

But the device isn’t working as REQUIRED by the Feds thus…they’ll FORCE the cars be fixed.

We’re going to continue to have a difference of opinion on the consumer end until the courts finally settle it I’m afraid. If you ever bought an after-market converter, they make it sound like you’re going to jail if don’t comply with the regs. Bottom line they aren’t going to start tagging and towing VWs checking for compliance and I’m not sure all of the states will cooperate in catching them at license plate time. We’ll just have to see how the whole thing plays out.

Motor Trend this month had a one page article on the whole VW thing but really we know more here than they offered. I still think once the fix is determined and the fine paid, the folks with the biggest problem to be resolved are the dealers that had used and new cars on the lot eating interest and space that couldn’t be sold. They’ll need to be compensated somehow and it will be simply a matter of math to determine their losses.

The feds will fine VW and force VW to do a recall. I bet VW will also agree to a payment to owners to compensate them for the decreased performance and mpgs, along with resale value. It’ll also entice the owners to do the recall. I think that’s all the feds will/can do. They can’t force a recall on the owners, never have, even in the GM ignition switch disaster.

California and other states that are very aggressive could well refuse to register cars until the fix is done.

@meanjoe75fan

I saw that movie a grand total of 1 time, when it came out, x number of years ago . . .

All I know is that Tommy Lee Jones and Wesley Snipes were both in the movie, but I don’t recall what their roles were

Apparently, you saw it more recently than I did :wink:

No, I meant the feds (real life) locked him up for tax evasion!

California requires that emissions related recalls be completed for vehicle registration.

For the EPA or NHTSA to require owners to complete the recall would be a first.

Some will chose to avoid the recall. I have observed three vehicles which the owners clearly stated and was documented on the work order that they did not want their Takata airbag replaced. This goes against reason but people fear damage to their instrument panel during the replacement based on a few posts on a message board.

There will be people that will avoid the recall because it may reduce the fuel economy by perhaps 1.5 MPG.

@meanjoe75fan

Aha . . . I thought you were talking about the movie, when in fact you were talking about real life

Yeah . . . Wesley Snipes is a real oddball, in my opinion. He was a fairly high profile tax evader for many years. I wonder if he truly thought he would go unpunished

I know he starred in at least 1 movie since he was released, and he seems to have a tv show, but I didn’t care to see either of them

And, the lawsuits against VW have begun…

Not bingo. The VW diesels are modified every time they go through an emisssions test by the software cheat. Owners are unwitting accomplices in VWs criminal acts. I don’t think they should be punished, but the fixes should be made and VW must pay for all of it. To me, this includes the urea systems and a lifetime supply of urea.

As their showroom traffic has dropped to near zero, VW is now offering huge discounts on their gasoline powered vehicles in an attempt to get sales moving again…

Owners of late-model gas and diesel VW’s have watched the trade-in / resale value of their vehicles plummet as the market for VW’s has dried up…

Hmmm, one man’s troubles are another’s opportunities. My last VW was a 59 bug but give me zero interest, a deep discount, long warranty, 1500# towing, and a smooth ride and I might take a look.

So, if anybody was in the market for a new gasoline car, and could get a bargain on a VW and they asked for your opinion, what would it be?