"Security" light... prevents starting

Every once-in-a-while I’ve noticed a “security” light is illuminated on my dash-board. When this happens, I can’t start my 92’ Buick LeSabre for about 5-minutes or so. Aggravating, to say the least. Is there something I can do? Including “disabling” it?

I have worked with many of the GM systems. They are Pass Key,PassLock1, PassLock2, and the Dealer installed products made by Code Alarm. I have found it non-productive to post comments when I do not know exactly what system your car is using. My suggestion (and others are certainly free to distribute their 2 cents) is that you “google” “passlock disable” the go to a site that gets a good rating off your anti-virus software (I do not want to send you out just browsing any old place and these ratings are better than nothing). When you find one that has telephone support give them a call. These places seem to be able to identify the system used even better than a Dealer parts man. You can then tell your story and post back what you were told and we will hash out what your options are. That is the way I would do it. If I had access to the RPO code sticker I could tell you what system your car has, but I do not. These aftermarket companies have some real good lists.

If this car has a resistor pellet in the key, which a '92 LeSabre should, you have a couple of choices on how to fix this. First, you can replace the lock cylinder, which has wires attached to it that break all the time. Alternatively, if you want to fix this permanently and for free, you can remove the passenger side kick panel to locate the Passlock security module and unplug it while the car is running. This will permanently disable the Passlock system, but your security light will always be on after you do this. As an added bonus, if you do this you will be able to use standard key duplicates in your ignition rather than the ones with the resistor pellet. That will save you about $15 apiece on duplicate ignition keys.