Sealing those pores aluminum rims

can I spray paint the inside of my aluminum rims ,they have become pores and leak air very slowly about 5 pounds psi per month .?sealing those pores aluminum rims

What makes you think your aluminum rims are porous?

5 PSI per month of pressure loss could be caused by a long list of things, such as a drop in temperature or bent rims or normal attrition. If you can tell me why you think your aluminum rims are porous, I might have some suggestions for identifying the real cause of pressure loss.

While 5 PSI of loss in a month is a little higher than normal, it isn’t that abnormal. If I put off checking my tire pressure a whole month (rather than weekly), I have to put air in the tires too, and my rims are steel.

Like Whitey, I wonder if you’ve ruled out all other causes first. If you spray the tires and valve with soapy water, do you see any bubbles anywhere?

1 Like

I love it (not!).
OP asks a simple question.
In return he gets assumption and aggressive skepticism.
Yes paint should at least slow down the leak.
Just do a good preparation: clean thoroughly, sand lightly and use metal primer to make sure it sticks.

I’m not sure what makes skepticism about a piece of aluminum as thick as a rim being porous “aggressive.” Do you think aluminum rims are porous?

Even aluminum foil isn’t normally porous, so I’m not convinced these rims are porous. Are you? If so, why?

1 Like

More skepticism : are you saying all four are leaking ?
I think paint would be temporary at best. I would call a wheel specialty shop and see if they have a solution.

I think paint would only be temporary, but if you decide to try this I’d recommend clearcoat. It’s thicker, self-leveling, and there won’t be any overspray issues.

It’s probably corrosion where the bead meats the rim from salt.

2 Likes

good idea .thank you

see what happened is the chrome on these particular Lincoln zephyr rims is exceptionally thick and notorious for chipping so a tire shop sanded off the rim edge where the chrome was overlapping it into the bead area and it helped 3 out of 4 rims however the one last tire leaks to much and the tire shop said there isn’t any chrome in the bead area any more . . so I thought maybe it could be sealed the shop will spray it on if I purchase the paint however no guarantees of coarse…

http://www.ehow.com/how_7632304_seal-porous-aluminum-auto-wheels.html

Tester

2 Likes

wow, I learned something today. And it’s fitting, as I have an aluminum wheel leaking.

Good stuff, Tester

Well that finally settles it! Nice.