Seafoam

I have what seems like a “tapping” valve noise in my wifes’ 95 civic, only on start-up . . . goes away in a minute. Tomottow is maintenance on the civic day (oil change, filters, other stuff. I bought a can of seafoam to address this “tapping” . . . any comments? How much seafoam in the crankcase and for how long before the oil change? The civic is a 95, non-vtech, 150,000 miles, runs great except this annoying tapping. Rocketman

The directions say 1 1/2 oz per qt of crankcase oil. So if it’s a four quart system that would equate to 6 oz. But since a 16 oz container, I generally add a half a can of Seafoam to the oil. How long do you leave it in? Until the next oil change.

Tester

not looking for a sales pitch, but… what is seafoam? how does it work? and why should one use it?

what would the alternative be?

so just type in (ww.seafoam).com.

or please steal my cash.

or barnum bailey circus.

FREE rides at Hershey park.(today only) all circuits are busy ,so please stay on the line.

please while I’m at work (rob my house)

chrysler (FREE gas) im sorry 2.99 a gallon.

I own the Bermuda triangle,you interested? lots and lots of SEAFOAM!

No kidding Tester? Until the next oil change? I know you’ve had good luck with it and I’ll follow your advice. Thanks! Rocketman

Don’t hold back, Crankie.

Have you had a valve adjustment done recently? The tapping noise is almost surely your valves “tapping”.

I agree with checking the valve lash. This should be done about every 30k miles at the latest. The reason it may go away in a few minutes is that oil is being pumped up there and is cushioning the rockers. After more than a few minutes the clearance will decrease due to expansion of the metal.

If this is the case then SeaFoam, while a great product, is not going to fix that.

I thought that too, Xeb and OK . . . I checked the valve clearance last oil change and it was pretty close . . . checked it twice. It goes away, but it bothers the crap out of me. I’m thinking a sticky cam follower, but I’ve never been into the head beyond checking the clearance. Anything I’m missing? Rocketman