Screwy answer from GM dealer

We have a 2003 GMC Sierra 2500 that shuts down at highway speeds. After a short breather it will run again. This same vehicle has had lots of electrical issues. GM people tell us it is because we have a rack and carry ladders. This sounds absurd for a work truck even if true. What should we think about this answer?

If the GM dealer service department is really telling you that they should be reported to GM.

The problem very well could be due to an electrical problem and is the most likely choice. You need to find out if it is in the ignition area or fuel delivery system. Look for other things not working when the trouble occurs. It can help pin down the trouble area. You may want to carry a can of starter fluid with you to have on hand when the trouble occurs again. Spray a small amount into the intake and see if the engine trys to run then. If it does then the fuel system needs to be checked. If not, the ignition area is suspect.

a rack and ladders on a work truck make the engine shut down???

well, now why don’t you find a decent local independent mechanic. get some references, and get away from that dealership.

gheesh. who sounds like a moron now?

Fuel pumps can fail in intermittently, causing the scenario that you described.

If its a diesel, then it might be the fuel filter and primer pump on the filter. I have seen this exact same problem before.

You were probably talking with a service writer and they were the ones who spouted this nonsense. The vast majority have no mechanical aptitude and so this is why many car owners hear such rubbish.

Any Check Engine Light on? First step should be getting codes pulled. Try AutoZone, Checkers, etc. They will do this for you free. Post any results back here for discussion.
Just making a wild guess here it could very well be a fuel pump as americar mentioned.

Good point OK4450. Somebody doesn’t have a clue and, it would be better to for them to say nothing about what they think the problem might be or what is causing it.

If true, their responce is the dumbest thinh I ever heard.
What about the ga-jillion other GM trucks with ladder racks? Call the GM district rep.

To my knowledge only FIRETRUCKS have RACK & CARRY LADDERS!!! Agree that most service writers are borderline morons.

Why are you dealing with the dealer?Warranty is up isn’t it?Are you making a claim that work done under warranty was not done properly and is related to your current concern?Is this a extended warranty situation?Mileage.engine type,service history please,be specfic.

WHAT ENGINE?

WHAT SPEED?

WHAT EXACTLY?

VAGUE QUESTION.

a smart a#@,would say ,dont take it to jiffy lube!

but of course I’m not a smart A@$.

so lay it out there what exactly, are you telling us? sounds like you talked to the lube tech (not to smart ,but willing to learn)

POP QUIZ,if a CHEVY STALLS ON THE HIGHWAY? especially where I live,rush hour is not cool, how does the rear end look?
A:like a piece of tin foil from the GREAT depression.
B:like brand new.
C:or do the ladders save you .

We knew the dealer answer was $#!^. We have taken this vehicle to a number of mechanics and it has been very hard to figure all the electrical issues that have plagued it. In fact the dealer was a sort of last resort. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Perhaps a visit to an auto electric specialty shop and have them go over the truck from bumper to bumper and if need be, rewire all the faulty systems.

Yes, I realize it would be expensive, but which is more inconvenient, paying lots of $$$ for a permanent(?) fix or stuck on the side of the road more times than you care to?

To my knowledge only FIRETRUCKS have RACK & CARRY LADDERS!!!

The op meant he has a rack that carries ladders. Not only firetrucks but any contractor, landscaper, etc., etc. can have a ladder rack.

You were probably talking with a service writer and they were the ones who spouted this nonsense. The vast majority have no mechanical aptitude and so this is why many car owners hear such rubbish.

And unfortunately MOST people think these guys are geniuses.