Scratches All Over Car

Yeah…something like that.

I’ve waxed it twice, but I don’t feel like I’m all that adept at washing/waxing/polishing.

In regards to that English guy . . .

It serves him right, getting rid of the dog

Payback’s literally a bitch

Meaning a female dog . . . in case somebody doesn’t like “curse” words

That’s sure no cat that did those scratches. Hard to say but it looks like just the clear coat is scuffed so I’d try having it buffed out by a body shop or a detailer. Worst case, they might be able to just spray clear coat on it if the base coat is not affected.

@LemonSqueezed

Your car’s paint looks like the paint on my brother’s cars

He and his wife constantly put stuff on the hood, roof, and trunk lid of their cars . . .

Do you also do that?

@db4690

Yes, that is something that I often do.

If the scratches are not deep then you can try paint coat.

@LemonSqueezed

If you do put things on top of the car, I’d leave it alone for now

After all, why spend money fixing the paint, when you’ll just scratch the paint next month, when you put something on the car again?

My advice is this . . . spend a few bucks taking care of the paint before you trade it in or sell it

Or I could just seek therapy for my habit of placing things atop my car and hope the problem can be mitigated. :slight_smile:

I went to a detail shop yesterday afternoon—he was able to buff out all of the scratches on the hood. I looked from any and every angle—you simply cannot tell that anything ever happened. Apparently none of the scratches, even the ones on the hood and trunk, are deep to where they cannot be fixed.

I was in a hurry, so he just kind of did a “demo” on the hood for $20—he said he would do the entire body for an additional $130. Is this a good deal?

@LemonSqueezed

It sounds fair to me

For what it’s worth, my brother and his wife are pretty rough on their cars . . . that isn’t going to change any time soon, and they have both admitted as much

So, they’ve just resigned themselves to bringing the cars to the detailer every once in awhile

As a matter of fact, I have high praise for good detailers. They’re often able to make the car look good again, for a modest price. It’s a real skill

Yep, take it. I usually buff, polish, and wax my cars twice a year and I spend about six hours each. So considering materials used and shop equipment, that’s not bad if he also waxes it too. I’d put the $10 a month away so you can do it every year if you don’t want to do it yourself.

If the scratches go down past the color coat, to the primer, then yeah, you’re not gonna like what the body shop will tell you. Do you know how they got there? Vanalism, animals, etc?

is the red solid red, or metallic? makes a difference, as metallic is harder to match when repainting.