Scion xB rear wiper arm swap?

This may be a crazy question but hey, this IS Car Talk!

I have a 2006 Scion xB. The rear wiper takes a proprietary wiper blade that needs to be purchased at and replaced by the dealer. I would really like to replace the rear wiper arm with one from another vehicle (I’m thinking of something like a Honda Fit, Mitsubishi Outlander or other J shaped wiper arms. Does anyone know if this can be done? Other than making sure that the size is appropriate and that the bolt stud is the correct size, is there anything else I need to be concerned about?

Unless there is something damaged you should be able to just replace the refill/insert. It costs about $8 from a dealer.

Yes, this is Car Talk forums, and home of The Art of the Guess, By George … lol

You know what, that sounds like a good idea. I’m not sure if it can be done with your vehicle, but I’m going to check to see if I can do it on my truck. I suppose the process is the same for both of us, go to some auto parts stores, dealers, and parts recycling places with our wiper arm in hand, and see what’s available that will fit. Thanks for posting.

Here’s the rubber insert for less than $7.
http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=517770&ukey_make=1059&ukey_model=15424&modelYear=2006&ukey_category=21641
Enjoy.

Why waste your time on google when you can get others to do it for you:

Even has you-tubes on it.

cARP. Last time I needed wiper blades I went to autozone, buy the part they put it in for free. Must be missing something, but cannot imagine what.

By the way, you can order the part directly via the website that my link opened up for you.

I think my 2011 Sienna and 2003 4Runner have the same type rear wiped. The rear cover over the rubber is removed to replace the squeegee. I think I bought the replacement at WalMarf, but I am not certain.