Santa Fe doesn't want to start after fueling

My 2004 Santa Fe doesn’t want to start after fueling. It doesn’t matter whether it was just a few dollars worth or a full fill up. After pumping the gas and recapping securely, I have to press and hold the Excelerator to get it to catch. I had the purge control valve replaced a few months ago. And my car started mourn normally for a while. However I’m back to having to push progressively harder on the gas pedal to get it to start after gassing up. Any ideas?

It sounds like there’s still something wrong with your evaporative emissions system, of which the purge valve is a part. Do you routinely “top off” the gas tank after the gas pump shuts off automatically? If so, the charcoal canister that filters the gas vapors may have gotten saturated with liquid gas. This can cause starting difficulties after fillup.

Have the charcoal canister checked and replaced if necessary. And don’t top off the gas tank if you have been doing so.

There’s still something wrong in the EVAP system.

When you add gas to the gas tank, the vent valve should allow the gas tank to vent to the atmosphere. If this doesn’t happen fuel vapors can be forced past the purge valve and into the engine. Then when you go to start the engine, not only is there the fuel from the injectors but also extra fuel from the vapors.

This results in a flooded condition which requires that you step on the accelerator in order to get the engine to start.

Tester

It sounds like you still have a problem with the Evaporative Emissions System.

If that “full fill up” means that you continue to force gas into the tank after the pump has clicked off for the first time, then you have likely contaminated the expensive carbon canister with gasoline. When this type of problem is experienced, sometime the only way to get the engine to start is by holding the accelerator to the floor while you turn the key, so that reinforces my belief that you have a problem related to the carbon canister.

Yep, getting too much fuel for a hot restart. You can also check the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail atop the engine. It looks like this:

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC/169-05114910.html?utm_content=DN&utm_term=2001-2006+Hyundai+Santa+Fe+Fuel+Pressure+Regulator+Beck+Arnley+01-06+Hyundai+Fuel+Pressure+Regulator+2005&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=CjwKEAjw5NihBRCZmdLkuuTHyWYSJACtCY0Jda9oDOn1EpfJVcpy7U1hhipIpoKQFCaRspEeGpurURoCStbw_wcB

When you stop, pull the vacuum line off the small nipple and look for liquid gas. If it’s there, you need a new regulator.

Thanks for the comments. I stop fueling when the pump turns off. I have never “topped off”.