Salt in gas

Have all the problems been worked out. I’m sorry that you are having to deal with this and the financial loss. I hope you win in court! I hate pit bulls. I think their owners have low intelligence and a need to intimidate others with their crap dog.

The police dropped the ball on charges, it falls under mischief and has a statute of three months. The officer in charge was injured on the job and had surgery and only his big cases got reassigned to other officers. This is why I’m suing. I doubt I will get a penny out of him but the insurance company can penalize him.

Your loss can’t possibly be $35000 on a 2013 Jeep Wrangler, It wasn’t worth that much used when it was vandalized. Ask the dealer you bought it from what they will give you for the Jeep as a trade in on a new one in writing, and also ask them to provide the trade in if it had not been vandalized. These trade in prices should be a negotiated or perhaps TrueCar price.

The difference in the trade in prices plus sales tax, plus your repair bills, the value of the loss of your car for 90 days and attorney fees are your measure of damages, however since it was malicious, you should ask for punitive damages as well.

Wow thanks that’s great advice! I actually didn’t ask for $35k I’m just saying it’s not really sellable on the private market. I did get a trade in quote and that is what I’m suing for. The only dealership that would touch it is the one I bought it from :frowning: I don’t think we have punitive damages in BC (Canada).

No the car is in the shop again :frowning: I’m so dejected right now but I’m not giving up!

I really struggled with the decision to save the dog. There were conditions of retraining as well, it wasn’t raised to be a fighting dog, it was poorly socialized (not socialized) and the experts said there was hope. I don’t know…the whole thing sucks.

A judge would appreciate seeing at least one mechanic’s written opinion on the condition of your car and its chances for a fair price on resale. In order to assess damages, it is always good to have an expert’s supporting opinion.

Thank you @"Joe Guy"‌

It’s very difficult to see salt as damaging to the engine although it can ruin a lot of things in the fuel system from the fuel pump clean through the fuel injectors and so on. Worst case scenario would be if the fuel pump and all injectors had to be replaced along with a thorough cleaning of the tank and fuel lines.

Tough call on what to do. Getting a judgement in court is one thing; collecting it can be a lot more difficult. Maybe the law there is more helpful than it is here.
Getting some written expert opinions would certainly bolster your case though.

The guy sounds like a real piece of work and pit bulls are something that is hard for me to condone. There has been quite a number of dog attacks in my region and in almost every single instance it’s always reported to be pit bulls as the cause.

The most recent one here involved a woman’s 3 pit bulls and 1 pit bull mix tunneling under a fence and killing the dog belonging to her neighbor. She went over to break it up and got injured.
So per the usual, she’s suing the people whose yard she entered and whose dog was killed for a million dollars…

I hope she gets it, and gets a lien on their house and any other assets they have.

IMHO pit bull owners get them not because they love dogs, but because they’re cowards. They’re afraid they might have to confront someone to protect their own property or rights, so they get pit bulls. They want to appear tough, but they’re really cowards. Too many kids, too many pets, too many innocent victims are attacked every year by people via their pit bulls. Note that I placed the responsibility where it belongs, on the owners and not on the dogs. Owners of pit bulls need to be held accountable legally and civilly to the same level they would be if they assaulted the victim with a .45.

Sorry, but that’s my honest opinion.

By the way, Jeepy, have you consulted a lawyer?

In the pit bull case I mentioned, the lady who is suing the neighbors for a million dollars is the owner of the pit bulls that attacked and killed a dog in someone else’s yard. She was apparently injured by her own dogs on someone else’s property.

Another case in OK City involved a grandmother who lived in an apartment and had 2 pit bulls living there with here. They both turned on her one day for no reason and mauled her to death.

Luckily I live in an area where a dog problem is resolved by the offended party…and I’ve resolved probably a dozen of them in the last 20 or so years.

OK4450, I should have read your post more carefully. I really blew that one.
I hope the neighbor is countersuing the pit bull owner for $1M. And I hope the countersuit prevails. But the current lawsuit confirms my opinion about pit bull owners. This being a family friendly forum, I’ll just say my opinion is beyond low. Lower than the beltline, and used for one’s “morning constitutional”.

Jeez that’s awful!! All of it!!! @"the same mountainbike"‌ I can’t afford a lawyer. I’m just starting my life over. I graduated nursing school at 40. I bought my first and probably only new car so I would have reliable transport for once and it seems to have backfired on me. I have got some case law that sets precedent and am trying like mad to decipher it.

Sincere congratulations on your recent accomplishment.

Perhaps there’ll be some legal aid office that can help. Your state house should be able to assist you on this if that option is possible. I confess to knowing extremely little about the practice of law, I’m just trying to think of a way of getting assistance.

Worst case, you will get past this. I’ve suffered some massive financial catastrophes over the years (my only contribution to the disasters having been some very bad decisions) and learned that one does survive.

You posted the question in different forms, I complained of the duplicate post and you hit the disagree on me. I don’t have the time to read your story, when you are not honest, don’t expect people to put up with you. My post was not off at all. Good luck in that nursing career, but be aware that there is more to holding a license in good standing.

Thanks I appreciate your help and your kind advice. I am ok, I really have a strong desire for justice and just want to see something happen to the guy. I feel I’m over my head but once I’m done my civil case, I will provide my insurance company with all the evidence and hope they go after him too. There’s only one auto insurer here so they have a lot of power to hold his license and insurance until he pays them back every penny for the ongoing repairs.

What you want now is far removed from what the original discussion was about. That was under false pretenses so personally, everything you say now has to be taken with a grain of salt.

"I'm trying to prove I will have a difficult time selling my car is all."

This forum can NOT be used in a court of law. There’s no way any judge will take random comments from random people as expert testimony…especially since we’re Anonymous and the judge has know way of knowing anyone’s technical qualifications.

You need to get EXPERT testimony from a certified mechanic.

Thanks @MikeInNH‌

None of us in the US are experienced in Canadian legal matters, I understand it is much more difficult to sue there , you should be guided by your attorney.