Salt air on metal parts

Hi everyone. I just inherited a 1997 Celica GT convertible with 66k miles. Runs awesome. Looks great.

Some minor cosmetic issues I want to address. The car lived under cover in Florida its whole life so it appears some salt air damage has been done to the trim around the top. I’ve attached a few pics

Before I go and screw it up myself does any one have any suggestions? Maybe there’s some kind of cleaner for this?

I am looking at black powder coated aluminum trim with corrosion popping thru the black coat.

Removing it takes find sandpaper a semi-flat black spray paint. Mask it off with paper and tape so you don’t get paint on other parts. Or take the part off before you sand and paint.

1 Like

50 50 white vinegar and water will gently remove rust but like said you may need to sand and just refinish.

I am a useless DIY painter etc. would a standard body shop be able to handle it?

Similar corrosion on the metal parts inside the top. I’m

Yes a body shop could handle it. They might not want to, but they can.

Hahaha. I find that paying cash usually helpswith small jobs! Plus I’ll give them more
Work since I have a teen age daughter who likes to bump into drive through poles SMH

Thanks all. Tried the vinegar. Didn’t budge

A good auto detailer could do it, how fun is that car! Talk to them first and see what they say,

1 Like

Maybe its not rust. At any rate there are any number of rust removal products at an auto store and then turn it black. A good one is Rust Mort that I only found at Summit Racing and no longer at any of the parts stores around. I think it was $30 for a pint by the time you paid for shipping. DuPont made a product called Metal Conditioner that was an acid that would eat the rust. I havent bought it for 30 years and was expensive then for a quart. Most of the stuff will turn the rust black instead of eating it off but that is such a small area shouldn’t matter/

1 Like

Don’t think it’s rust. It’s just corrosion No rusty coloring or stuff falling off. Just spotty corrosion

Car runs great. Literally hasn’t been on any highway in 10 years. Just a beach car for my mom. Since you never see them anywhere anymore I thought I’d hang onto it. Had the front seats recovered and the speakers and audio system changed (kept OEM in the trunk for later)

Need replacement Antenna for better reception but it’s blue tooth now…speakers all Polk audio now.

Probably wanna get replacement OEM wheels too. Since they’re 26 and have lived in salt air for so long

No plans to run it hard. Just keep for summer fun car and maybe a door county run during the summer

Door county? My folks and god parents were at the shipyard in sturgeon bay during the war. Took a few trips back there visiting. Great white fish. Took the ferry to Washington island.

A Florida car from near the beach? Get it up on a lift, have the underside inspected for excessive rust.
As far as the trike pieces, yes let a body shop handle it, aluminum oxide is a whole different animal than iron oxide.

1 Like

Who would put it on a lift for me. What am I looking for. Remember I’m an idiot! Zip code 60004

You regular mechanic or a body shop.