Drain cleaner got splashed on my car and stained the plastic door trim. How can I remove the stains? (Info below)

2000 Corolla. I tried washing it but it won’t come off. How can I fix this without buying a new piece. I’m assuming I have to paint it. How can I go about doing this? My landlord was doing “plumbling work” and the drain cleaner in the pipes splashed on my car parked in the garage and he refused to pay for it

Drain cleaners are usually highly caustic substances, and as a result, I doubt that you can “clean” it from the plastic trim. More than likely, you will need to replace that piece of trim. A body shop could tell you for sure.

1 Like

It’s very hard to find that trim for a reasonable price. Is there anyway to paint it?

Again, a body shop can provide the best answer for you. Most likely they won’t charge anything to simply look at it and give you an answer.

1 Like

In the past I’ve used Testors model spray paints, Krylon spray cans. Match the color as best you can and then a couple coats of clear coat. Just be sure to get the right finish, flat, matte, glossy etc. For example there was a “Camo” Tan spray paint at Home Depot that was an almost exact match for the interior plastic trim in my ‘02 Camry.

2 Likes

So any spray paint would work? I read online that I should use an adhesion promoter beforehand to allow the paint to stick. Is this tru? Should I sand the paint beforehand instead?

For a professional job, an adhesion product is advised but not mandatory. But this is a 23 year old car that likely won’t be in service in 5 years when the paint starts looking shabby… or if it is, paint it again!

Just clean the trim with rubbing alcohol, sand with 600 grit paper, mask it carefully and shoot a couple of coats of enamel semi-gloss black paint. Use paint for upholstery vinyl available at auto parts stores.

3 Likes

After doing the math and willing to do any engine/tranny replacement, I expect to keep this car for another 10 years at least. The rust is minimal and it is just in great condition. I got to keep the old cars alive.

I will follow those instructions if I decide to go through with it. I’m thinking I will just keep it stained for now

1 Like

The spots you see are the plastic where the coating on the trim used to be. If you follow the good instructions that @Mustangman provided, mask at least a foot above and below the trim and make sure the masking tape closest to the trim is right up against it or the overspray will coat the body of the car. I would also start with acetone, rinse with lots of water, then finish off with alcohol. If you can’t find acetone at a home goods store, buy some nail polish remover that only contains acetone. Always put the solvent on a rag, never directly on the trim. 99% of this job is preparation. Painting will take a couple minutes at most. If you can easily remove the trim painting is much easier.

1 Like

Before you try any of these type chemicals, remember what the drain cleaner did to the finish to begin with. Always test the chemical in a small inconspicuous location to make sure the chemical does not “melt” the trim, especially old plastic trim… And a word to the wise, do not smoke when using these chemicals…

1 Like

Yeah, I’d skip the acetone.

1 Like

Small claims court would be another option here.

2 Likes

No way I would assume the costs or inconvenience of the necessary repairs. I was renting back in the 80s where the parking was an underground garage. Came home one night to find my motorcycle damaged. It was apparent someone had been working on an overhead drain pipe and dropped it on my motorcycle. The apartment manager disavowed all knowledge of any repairs and in fact claimed there were none. Funny, it’s a brand new pipe directly above the motorcycle and the pipe even has some sand and small stones where it rested on the ground at one point. So I took a bunch of pictures, got estimates for the repairs and wrote a demand letter to the owners, copying the manager. Sent it by registered mail w/return receipt so I had a record of them getting it. It wasn’t two days later they called trying weasel out of it but by the end of the call they agreed to cut me a check for the estimated damages. I fixed it myself after that.

Document the damage, get an estimate from at least two body shops and then write a demand letter. If the landlord/owner refuses, take them to small claims. BTW- you may paint it later but for the estimate, have the body shop consider costs of trim replacement. You have a right to be made whole and that’s not painting over trim parts to mask corrosive liquid damage.

5 Likes

I don’t want to go to court for this. I will try and talk sense to the landlord and if I can’t I will take it from there.

If I were to paint it, how would I go about it. I just want a couple opinions on painting

One question regarding the process of painting. Can I skip the primer? I’m trying to keep it as low cost as possible. And I am unable to find a color matched vinyl paint. Would regular color correct paint work?

Thank you

You likely can skip the primer. Regular paint won’t flex as much as you might need so it won’t hold up as well. If it is Duplicolor brand paint it is lacquer and may not play well with the trim. This company has everything you need… But may not fit your budget. Car paint work is very expensive and the material costs reflect that.

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/

That trim piece was originally silver, right? You can find a silver that’s close and paint the whole strip on that side of the car. Nobody’s going to care or even notice if it doesn’t match the other side. I did something like that years ago, had two different pairs of matching hubcaps, put one on one side of the car, one on the other, nobody noticed.

Can you just use more drain cleaner to color match the entire piece? Not perfect, but it would remove the splotches.

1 Like

Wait. Hahahahha. Your right. It will be wrong color but wow. That might work lmfao

1 Like

Is this old? I can’t tell. But go down to Napa or auto paint supply and gat a can of matching sem bumper and trim paint. Then sand it smooth, mask and spray it. Antrim out of Oklahoma ha many many trim colors if you have trouble matching. The stuff is not cheap though either.

By the way, drain cleaner should not be used in pipes, regardless of what the can says. Plumbers won’t touch it if they know that stuff was used. Especially in multi residences. Kaboom.

1 Like