Saab problems

Hello all,

I have been having some engine/electrical issues with my 2003 saab 9-3 convertible. It started with the check engine light coming on I had it diagnosed as a map 2 sensor and transmission output sensor. The light went off and the car ran fine. Now the light is back on and the engine stalls out at random times (while accelerating, at idol, and now loses power during full throttle. It bucks on the highway). Today while losing power blue smoke comes out of the tail pipe, but only during the power loss bucking. I also notice when there is a power loss or skip/bucking the turbo needle goes into the yellow/high mark. I am going to take it to a repair shop soon but can anyone give me some advice on what this might be? Also sometimes while driving when the bucking/skipping/power loss happens the gear indicator light on the dash goes from drive to neutral to reverse and park intermittently. Help pls! Thanks in advance!

It looks like you may have more than one problem. The MAP sensor – MAP stands for manifold absolute pressure – is part of the air/fuel mixture management system. If that sensor fails, the ECM won’t know how much fuel to inject, so you could get either lean or rich operation… Rich operation can cause smoke out the tailpipe, so maybe that is part of what is happening. There are test procedures a SAAB shop should be able to do to test if the MAP sensor is faulty or not.

The only sure fire way to fix reoccurring SAAB convertible electrical problems, is to trade the car in for a Use Camry Solara.

+1 for @dagosa and the same goes for Mercedes, BMW, Volvo and Audi.

“…while losing power blue smoke comes out of the tail pipe.”

I’d say you also have a turbo going south. Oil from the turbo is going into the intake manifold.