CarTalk.com Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

Rough running Saab fixed itself

Car was idling and driving real rough and dying at stops. Turns out that the transmission mount was torn so I replaced
it and verified that the other two motor mounts were good. Car was still running rough but on a drive with some jerky shifts (automatic) after about 20 miles all is well and I’m running as smooth as a baby’s bottom with great turbo action. Cars just don’t fix themselves. What could have been wrong? By the way there were no codes from the Tech ll. Using a pc of tubing I can’t hear any vacuum leaks nor when spraying brake cleaner on the hose ends does the engine race.

I don’t believe that the torn transmission mount and the rough running engine were related. I wonder if you picked up a tank of gasoline that was bad. It’s rare, but it has happened.

Saab 9-3
Model-Year ?

This is a 1999 2.0L turbo.
About two weeks prior to the rough running for no good reason other than annual maintence I added a container 6oz? of Gumout fuel injector cleaner to a full tank of gas and there were two weeks of good running after that pior to the rough running.
During the rough running I replaced the spark plugs with the proper NGK pulg gapped to the recommended 1.0mm. Prior to the rough running there was an O2 sensor resistance high code, so i replaced the 02 sensor with a new one. This did not immediately eliminate the rough running.