Saab 9-3

My 2001 Saab 9-3 (manual) won’t start. It chugs and chugs and chugs but it won’t catch. We’ve figured out that it isn’t the fuel pump, but nobody can figure out why it won’t start. I could use some help. I’m spending lots of money for it to just sit there.

Have you checked for spark? How did you determine the fuel pump is OK?

Fuel, air, spark, and compression. One of those is missing. First, a few questions.
How many miles is on this puppy?
How did you verify that the fuel pump is working?
Have you checked for spark?
When was the last time you changed the timing belt?
Have you verified that the valves are operating?

Post back with the answers. If you need guidance to check these things, simply let us know and we’ll be happy to post directions.

Thank you very much for all your suggestions! I got my car back last night. Apparently there was incorrect gas in the tank.
Back story: is was on a road trip and needed gas asap in a strange city. I went to the closest station (thanks to gas buddy iPhone app). It was shady and they advertised having unleaded and diesel. So I went to the unleaded pump and put a little bit of gas in because I noticed they were charging $0.50 more than advertised. So I left. Turns out they were pumping diesel gas through the unleaded pumps. Therefore my car wouldn’t run properly.

Thank you all for the suggestions!

Glad to hear you got your fuel problem fixed. We had a new gas station that opened up here recently. A friend of mine got a job there and he related this story to me. When the station opened…gas sales were dismal. They finally found the problem the next day…all the pump handles had green plastic coverings which was confusing the customers. So far (2 weeks) and no one came back complaining of problems because they sell gas, E85 and diesel. I guess most of those people do what I do when buying gas…I read the pumps and pay particular attention to the price.