Rusty '65

Yeah I’ve heard its a beast

I stand by my earlier comments about the costs involved, but by all means, go for it ! You obviously have the passion for an older car, and are aware of the potential downside. What’s the worst case scenario? You spend your money, learn a lot about cars, maybe get bogged down, and you lose interest. So what? You can always recoup some of your investment by selling at any point. The upside, though, is the goal: a car you love that stands out anywhere you take it (except, maybe, in the sea of first-generation Mustangs at the larger shows !), and a lot of fun for a long time. I still have a 41 year old car I bought in 1979, right out of high school, and despite the many “tests on my patience” it has put me through, I’ve never once regretted owning it and can’t imagine parting with it. My 24 year old daughter has also gotten the old car fever, and it makes for some common ground between us. So, whitneyh, if the finances allow it, dive in and enjoy yourself !

:slight_smile: I’m hoping that this car will last me awhile and I can have some awesome memories with it. So I think I’m going to go for it, thanks for the advice.

I agree with caddyman. Buy a mustang that is not a rust bucket or one that some -one has restored partially.

As my Dad told me, buy one that someone else is losing their butt on, not you.You will be far ahead of the game.

Remember, the '65 Mustang is second only to the VW beetle for cars built. Mustang fever a few years ago made the prices soar for these cars.There are still millions around.Prices have now become more realistic now that the fever has subsided.

An original garage kept Fast-back can be had for $12-14,000. Can you restore a rust bucket for that price?

Anywhere from $10,000 and up and by up I meant $50,000+ depending on what is wrong with the car and the level or restoration you want.

As far as an investment, what options does it have, is it a convertible etc. But the big question is do you plan on drive it after it’s restored? If so then it just a car and not an investment.