Rpms with manual shift at 70 mph

My Honda S2000 is a very smooth engine turning 3000+ at highway speeds and is loud (wind noise from the convertible) but not buzzy. My 997cc motorcycle with its hard mounted engine turns 4500 at the same speed and is pretty buzzy. Enough to put my hands to sleep on a long highway ride.

Test drive is the ONLY way you can resolve this.

I dramatically reduced wind and road noise in mine some years back. I gutted the interior and lined it with sound insulation (dynomat on the sheetmetal and special fiber matting in the cavities).

@“the same mountainbike” Did you do the headliner as well?

I once “Dynomatted” a Corvette for temperature control (those big blocks let a lot of heat in the cabin) and found that it helped keep the heat out. Did you notice any temperature improvements in yours?

My 2010 Kia Forte SX sedan 6 speed M/T has a 2 speed differential. Final gear ratio
4.063(1,2,R)/ 2.955(3~6). It works automatically and seamlessly. 6th gear ratio is 0.827. It’s been awhile since I cruised at 70mph on the Interstates and I don’t recall the exact RPMs at that speed. 55mph is slightly under 2,000 RPMs. 60mph is slightly over 2,000 RPMs in 6th gear.

Nope, I didn’t do the headliner… mainly because I don’t HAVE a headliner! '05 Scion tC’s have glass roofs front & rear, the front one a slider.

I didn’t notice and temperature impact, probably because (1) I only have a 4-banger, and (2) I didn’t pull the dash or kickpanels… I discovered that the kickpanels were already well insulated with fiber mats, so I left them alone.

I did, however, notice (much to my surprise) a considerable improvement in the sound quality from my audio system. That’s what Dynomat advertises the product for, but it wasn’t my goal so I didn’t even think about it.

Oh, and I almost forgot… I DID pull the console and insulate it. It’s right above the exhaust pipe heat shield, and I DID notice less heat penetrating up in the summer. I actually considered wrapping the center pipe with heat shield of the type used on headers, but never did so. It’s probably overkill anyway. Especially since my roof and windows are wide open all summer.

B.L.E., thanks a lot for that calculation. That’s what I was looking for. Didn’t know how to put all the pieces together. Surprised it’s that hard to figure out. Gear ratios in and of themselves don’t mean much…rpms at a given speed on the other hand.

That sounds like it’d be great. Thanks all for responses.

My Chevy Cruze with a 6 sp MT runs at just a tick over 2,100 rpm at 70mph. That’s with the 1.4L Turbo. I would never buy an auto if a stick is available. MUCH prefer to do my own thinking when driving a car.

B.L.E., thanks a lot for that calculation. That's what I was looking for. Didn't know how to put all the pieces together. Surprised it's that hard to figure out. Gear ratios in and of themselves don't mean much....rpms at a given speed on the other hand.
Shucks, 'twasn't nothing. Now figuring gear ratios for planetary gears, that's a little more complicated.