3000 RPM at highway speeds

Hi - I’ve got a 2007 Mazda6, 5 speed manual. I shift into 5th at about 42 mph - by the time I’m at 70, it’s about 3200 RPM. I’ve heard this is normal (don’t have to downshift on the highway to pass, at least), but here’s my question - will this wear the engine out way faster than it ought to? Is 3000 RPM too hard on the engine? Thanks

I’m guessing you have the 4 cylinder model. Since it has a small engine, it needs to operate at higher revs in order to produce sufficent power. Using shorter gearing is a common way for manufactuers to use less powerful engines seem stronger than they really are. Your car was designed that way for a reason.

Yep, it’s the 4 cylinder. So does that gearing ratio put more wear and tear on the engine because it’s revving that high on the highway, or does the engine design take that into consideration? I’ve been driving an AT Maxima for ten years that would kick down lower than that. Don’t know too much about engine design - it just seems like 3000 rpm would be working the engine a heck of a lot harder than 2000.

It’s perfectly normal. And the engine will not wear out prematurely. Today’s smaller engines, with their lower reciprocating masses, shorter strokes, and better balanced components, are very comfortable at those speeds.

As a matter of fact, when I was young 100,000 miles was considered the reliable life of an engine. And rebuilds were common. Today, 200,000 and higher of reliable operation is considered normal. And when was the last time someone you knew needed a “ring job” or a “valve job”?

For what it’s worth…

I have a 2000 Honda Civic. It is a 4 cylinder with a 5 speed manual trasnmission. At 70 MPH in 5th gear I am at about 2800 RPM. I think I hit 3200 RPM around 80 MPH or so.

Also I had a 4 cylinder Jetta with an automatic transmission. I don’t remember exactly but the RPMs were always higher in that than in the Civic at the same speeds.

So, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with your Mazda.

Thanks, guys - that was what I was hoping. It’s just different than what I’m used to.