Rough shift from Top gear to next lower gear

I have a 2002 Dodge Caravan, 120k miles and an automatic transmission. Just recently, we have noticed a lurch when coming up to a stop at a stop sign.

The transmission fluid was low and I have added a 1/2 quart , but it did not eliminate the lurch. I noticed that if I manually shift to gear 3 from Drive that the lurch does not happen. We only notice the lurch or jump when coming to a stop, gear change is smooth with no lurch when accelerating. I have not had my fluid changed in at least 50000 miles. Is this evidence of a major problem getting ready to occur or is an adjustment required?

You may want to start saving up for a good sized repair bill. It would be a good idea to have the trans fluid changed. It might be too late, but worth a shot. My guess (and only a guess) is the lock up torque converter isn’t releasing properly. This can be a problem the computer controls, or mean the torque converter is on its way to failure. Wait for a response from “transman” who is an auto transmission guru.

Thanks for your quick response UncleTurbo. I as you suggest, wait for Transman to weigh in.