Rough ride, shocks ok?

I have a 99 Nissan Altima with about 130k miles on it that is riding pretty rough. I can feel every bump in the road, a pothole knocks me half out of my seat. Also, there’s a lot more road noise than in any car I’ve been in recently.

I’ve been advised that since when I push down on the car and it stabilizes after only a bounce or two, the shocks are probably fine. The tires have less than 5k miles on them, so I assume that’s not the problem.

Any other things I can check before I head for the mechanic? I’d prefer to do the work my self if possible, but I don’t want to do shocks if they aren’t going to make a difference.

As near as I can tell, it is just about impossible to determine the effectiveness of McPherson struts at absorbing jolts except by driving the car. You’re doing that, and the ride is not satisfactory. If the struts are the ten year old original equipment, that shouldn’t be surprising.

I think there are probably Quick-Struts available for your vehicle. If so, replacement is probably safe and straight-forward except for dealing with big nuts and bolts that probably haven’t moved for ten years and aren’t going to want to move now. I’d avoid (cheaper) spring compressor type replacements unless you are very confident of your ability to compress the springs, disassemble the strut, and reassemble it without killing or maiming someone – probably you.

You might want to get a mechanic to check the suspension just in case the problem is elsewhere.

Chances are it’s the shocks or struts. You are sure your tires aren’t overinflated, I hope?

If these are original shocks/struts, they’re almost certainly worn out. If you want to keep the car, replace them.

Thanks for the replies, sounds like it can’t hurt to replace them.

Next question then, I changed shocks on a 92 Acura Integra a few years ago without a spring compressor by lifting the body high enough I could use the weight of the car to compress the springs as needed. I haven’t looked at the setup on this car, but I assume it’s basically the same? If not I’ll go borrow a compressor from Advance Auto.

*** I changed shocks on a 92 Acura Integra a few years ago without a spring compressor by lifting the body high enough I could use the weight of the car to compress the springs as needed. I haven’t looked at the setup on this car, but I assume it’s basically the same? If not I’ll go borrow a compressor from Advance Auto.***

Ulp!!! I’ll give you that you can probably get the struts out safely that way even though we’re told not to do it. I’ll be damned if I can see how you are going to get them back in with everthing in its proper place. But what do I know? In any case, be warned that there is a lot of energy stored in those springs when they are compressed and that you really need to treat them with a substantial amount of respect.