Road trip!

Today is the 60th anniversary of the publication of Jack Kerouac’s famous road trip novel, On The Road, but Sinclair Lewis apparently wrote the first road trip novel in 1919.

Road Trip!

“Shotgun!”

Interesting. I’ve never read it. When I saw On The Road I was thinking about a book I read years ago, On the Road with Charles Kuralt. It told of many interesting road trip stops in the U.S. and made me wish I was going road tripping. It was a best seller for quite a while in the mid-80s

Some road trip books are more philosophical than others, thinking that I’ve read Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance and Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas. I don’t think the actual road trip was the message.
CSA

Here’s another one: Carsick!

John Waters doumented his hitchhiking trip from his home in Baltimore to his home in San Francisco. He made it safely and made a friend along the way. A city councilman from a small Maryland town took him from Western MD to Ohio, the young man then went on to Missouri to help with tornado relief. After that, he headed west looking for Waters, found him in Denver, and drove him the rest of the way. Crazy? Remember that this is John Waters. Do a web search if you don’t know who he is.