Road signs

Well, when the withholding of highway funds was first tried (at least that I’m aware of), it was re: the 55 MPH limit. Don’t adopt 55, don’t get federal funding. Then it was for 0.08% BAC for DWI.

These were “safety first!”-type initiatives, that were supported for that reason. Unfortunately, once the precedent is set…

Frankly, I agree that withholding funding is an unsightly “end run” around limitations on Federal oversight.

Well, a decade seems to me like a reasonable amount of time to make the switch.

I sure am glad I didn’t weigh in sooner. A lot of these threads remind me of chicken little.

There will always be people who are in the minority who don’t benefit from the change, no matter what it is, but as long as it improves things for the majority, they make sense. There will also always be people who resist change, no matter what it is.

“Take a look at your news paper. Look at books etc. The proper use of case and font makes for easier reading rather it is in a book of on a sign.”

A good point…it’s really about time that we supported proper grammar, punctuation and case in a reasonable fashion. Otherwise, if left to we computer junkies…everythingwouldlooklikethis. Try that for a road sign; “rightturnonly”.
One vote yes !

I WOULD POINT OUT THAT MOST PEOPLE DISLIKE READING ALL CAPITAL LETTERS ON WEB PAGES.

I’m not familiar with studies on the topic, but here in Texas new mixed-case signs started going up a few years back. I usually dislike change, but I like this one; reading the signs is more natural.