RN16 concept. If you'd told me 15 years ago that Hyundai would even think of this

I’d have thought you were high.

No way they’ll ever go into production, but it sure has been fun to see what they’ve come up with both in concepts and in street cars over the last several years. Talk about a turnaround.

There is no doubt that Hyundai has come a VERY long way from the days of the Pony and Excel models.

My brother is a very satisfied owner of two Hyundais–a Santa Fe and an Azera–and I believe that he would buy another Hyundai if he was in the market for another car.

Hyundai is now competing head on with Toyota and Honda. I never would have never dreamed they would have come so far.

Take THAT, North Korea!! Three cheers for South Korea!!!
Sorry. Couldn’t resist.

Count me in as a convert (not that I was a Toyota fan boy). We got a Sonata and when we were cross shopping for a small CUV, the Tucson rode better than the RAV4 and the CRV/Escape. Now that I want to replace my older Camry, I have test driven the new Camry and the new Sonata and the new Sonata rides better. I just don’t want to have 3 Hyundai’s, so might get something else.

I can remember when all things made in Japan were considered cheap junk.
So yes, times can change.

I bought a 2012 Camry new, only because the local Hyundai dealer wouldn’t stock any Sonatas with steel wheels and wasn’t interested in getting one from another dealer without getting a little something extra for his trouble.
I actually liked the look of the Sonata better and thought is was slightly more comfortable also.

@oldtimer 11-Mind explaining why not having steel wheels made a difference.

Remember a buds toyota corolla, in he 70’s underpowered pos, had to speed down a hill to make it up the next, and if you could not stop in time turn on the ac, toyota is now a respected brand, I do not have an issue with company improving and becoming respected.

steel rims are often hardier than aluminum alloy rims

cheaper to replace a wheel ornament, versus having an expensive alloy rim repaired/refinished, after hitting a curb . . . it DOES happen

not to mention the cars with the steel rims are almost always the less expensive trim line. I would rather have a base Camry, versus a decked-out Corolla. No matter how many gizmos the Corolla has, it’s still a Corolla. And even the base Camry is bigger, has a nicer ride, probably has some standard features that aren’t even options on the Corolla, etc. And even a base Camry is a decently equipped car

that’s what comes to mind, FWIW

I’m guessing that Hyundai dealer refused to stock the steel wheel Sonatas, because those may have been base models. And it’s clearly more profitable to sell higher trim level Sonatas.

Too bad for the dealer, because it’s better to sell a base Sonata, versus not selling ANY Sonata, and losing the sale to a competitor

Hmmm now that actually caught my attention. Well…I dont know much…but I DO know that the only constant is change in this life…

Pretty interesting and not too surprising considering the high end Hyundai luxury vehicle that has been stealing MB and BMW buyers for some time now…

Like the article stated…I wouldn’t be surprised to see that vehicle being released in more conventional form…Front engined, front or rear wheel drive. Before we see any mid engined vehicles…but sure…it would be cool to see this in its most aggressive format. Why not?

Isn’t it funny that today REAR Wheel Drive…has become some kind of high end equipment? It used to be the norm by far…as Im sure you all know… Nowadays its like a premium setup… Funny that…

Blackbird

Have to agree,The Hydra of something that performs excellently rears its head .despite the agreed on norm and off we go again .About Hyundai ,who would have thought ?(already said) but the thing is when complacency becomes the norm, a Johnny come lately can blindside the paradigm.
My biggest beef with the Japanese cars ,is that the styling becomes dated so quickly IMO .

While the standard luxury performance sedan comes with RWD, most of the cars on the dealer’s lots have AWD.

“If you’d told me 15 years ago that Hyundai would even think of this…”

Hyundai? It’s All Greek To Me… I Hate To Rain On Anybody’s Parade, But Folks Around Here Can’t take Them Seriously.

Consider This…
I Wouldn’t Know Which Compass Direction To Drive In Order To Find The Nearest Hyundai Dealer. It Would Be A Long Journey. Like Other Foreign Cars, The Lack Of A Dealer Support Network Makes Them A Non-Starter Around My Location.

Asian and European cars have never caught on here.
CSA

Something tells me that you live out in “Big Sky” country @“common sense answer”

Yooper, IIRC.

@csa We don’t live near either coast, but car buyers are very open to new makes. Within a short driving distance we have Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Kia, Hyundai, Subaru, Volkswagen as well as the big three dealers. In the luxury area we have BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Lexus, Land Rover, Jaguar, Acura, and as of a few months back a Lamborghini dealership.

The import dealers do the most car business; the Big Three mostly sell trucks and SUVs.

When Hyundai came out with the Pony in 1986, it sold well as did the Smart Car a few years back.

Us too , like c.s.a., that’s another brand you buy waaay out of town and then only if you’re prepared to drive or tow 140 miles ( at least ) one way for dealer service.

I had a 2005 Sonata rental for a week in 2005, and I thought it seemed comparable to a Camry… although the seats were killing my back. Having a bad back to begin with, I’m inclined to believe it was me and not the car.

...I wouldn't be surprised to see that vehicle being released in more conventional form...

It already has; it’s called a Veloster.