Right front clunk from reverse to forward

I have a 2009 Outback 4cyl turbo with manual trans. When I back up and then go forward, there is a noticable single “clunk” from the right front end. What is weird is it does not happen for 10 to 15 feet after I start forward. Ideas? Thanks.

Trying to describe or to interpret noises and vibrations over the 'net is prone to error, but I will give this a shot. Perhaps you are simply hearing the ABS Self-Test, which normally occurs after the engine is started, and after driving a few feet in first gear. Then again, it may be something else.

However, the good news is that this vehicle is under warranty. Take the car back to the service department, and demonstrate this phenomenon for them. If they tell you that it is normal, then I would suggest that you confirm this by asking to drive a comparable new car, so that you can verify the “normality” of the noise.

And, if it is not normal for your car to make this noise, at least you are completely covered by the Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty for…3 years/36k miles, IIRC.