Rhemotoid arthritis in hands and wrists

Hi I’ve got a mass of five minivan 2008. I just found out I have rheumatoid arthritis in my hands and wrists. I haven’t been able to drive. Does anyone know how to adopt the steering wheel so it’s easier on the joints? And the shifter on the floor? I probably need a new car. Suggestions on another car would be great to thank you

There were knobs to attach to steering wheels, but they may be dangerous and illegal.

I would make two other suggestions, which if you have already done, I apologize.

Most patients with rheumatoid arthritis (and similar conditions) ARE able to operate their vehicles. I would suggest seeing a rheumatologist for two reasons. One is to be certain of the diagnosis, since there are other possibilities. The other is to get appropriate treatment to allow you to do those things you wish to do. There are some remarkable treatments available today. Your general doctor can find one for you. I think everyone with rheumatoid arthritis should see a rheumatologist for those two reasons.

Another thing to do is to see an occupational therapist (they are physical therapists for hands, wrists and arms) to get treatments to help and to get methods and/or devices to accomodate your driving needs.

I wish you good fortune with your condition.

1 Like

If you Google something like… Vehicle modifications for disabled drivers
you will get 20 (or more) pages of information, including local companies that can modify your five vehicles, organizations that provide supportive services, and even helpful videos.

No idea what that is.

There are adaptations that can be made for disabled drives, but not ones that would necessarily make turning the steering wheel easier. Not trying to be rude, but if you can’t reliably turn the steering wheel, then you may need to re-evaluate your ability to safely operate a vehicle. I don’t think a new car would be much of a help here.

1 Like

A cushiony steeribf wheel cover may help. Any steering wheel cover would probably help some.

Thank you for your reply. On medications now . Thank you.

I am glad, and thank you for telling me. I hope you are able to see a rheumatologist and an occupational therapist.