Reset the timing belt

Well, if they’re replacing the timing belt, water pump, and tensioners just to determine if damage exists then they’re working from a MAD magazine tutorial.

Not only that, but it’s at a dealership, too. The people who are supposed to know these cars the best.

Hearing about procedures like this is downright embarassing to the profession actually.

Another one (especially with interference engines) is when someone replaces a belt and turns the key to operate the starter motor without double checking their work. Wonder how many engines have been ruined because someone did a routine belt replacement and found out after the fact they were off a bit? :frowning:

I’m Getting Here A Little Late, But It Almost Sounds As If Mom2tp Bought This Car Used From A Dealer With Some Sort Of Warranty Or Goodwill Warranty.

So the car went back to the dealer to fix.

"And I’m am grateful I am not being charged labor to repair these 2 problems. "

"I know the dealership will work with me on the cost that is not the issue, . . . "

It seems to me that Mom is somewhat at the mercy of a “dealer”, but they are going to somehow help out covering some costs of the repair work.

I had a Spirit version of this car with the 2.5L. We had it for 17 years and several hundred-thousand miles, handing down to different drivers in our family. It goes on my list of one of the best cars I’ve owned.

Good Luck, Mom.
Keep us posted, please.
CSA

In defense of the shop doing the work, if they have the timing covers all the way off already to replace the water pump, it would probably be faster to hang a pump and belt on it and see if it starts before reassembly than to pull the intake to remove the spark plugs and turn the cams to do a leakdown test on every cylinder. If it runs on all 6 great. If not, the engine’s coming apart anyway.

Now on the other hand if the dealer sold her this car a couple of weeks ago I’e expect the dealer to eat the cost of the repair. I know as-is means as-is, but a reputable business will step up here…

I think your Spirit was the 4 cylinder 2.5 freewheeling engine. This is a V-6 interference engine.

The Spirit timing belt took about half an hour to replace.

Master, You’re Correct. I Just Got Back And Noticed That This Was A V-6. I Popped On To Note That And You Already Beat Me. That Dodge 4-Banger 2.5L Was A Smooth, Efficient, And Bullet-Proof Power Plant.

Excellent transmission, too. I bought the 91 “program” (rental) in 92 with 6,000 miles on it and 1 month of bumper-to-bumper warranty left, plus the drivetrain warranty (I think it was 5 years / 60,000 miles).

I went out the door for $9245 cash (including tax, plate, everything) and ran it for 17 years and tons of miles with practically nothing but regular oil changes and a little routine maintenance. Good basic transportation.

CSA

I agree 100%.

You know, the early K-cars weren’t very reliable or durable, and as such their reputation was less than stellar. But by the time the 2.5 fuel injected models came out, they were actually pretty good cars. Not powerful or particularly fun to drive, but the fact is they ran forever, when something did break it was easy and cheap to fix, and were economical to run. They got you around fine and at very little cost. I think they were great cars.

Now, it’s almost impossible to find a simple car like that.

So Chrysler (or Mitsubitshi) makes a 2.5 liter V6 now???

Not now they dont. Not sure when they quit, I think it was around 2002. But that engine has been around since 1995 or so.

So here is the lastest details in the non ending adventure. The water pump froze up, but the belt did not break. They had it up and running, but then a pulley froze up. They are replacing the pulley and the heads, they tore the engine apart and checked the valves, no damage to them. They are going to eat the cost bc it has taken them so long to get all this done. I will have my car back tom hopefully. And yes it seems I am at the mercy of this dealer. I just can’t wait for all this to end!!!