Replacing wiper blades?

I used to sell and sometimes install those inserts when I worked at a service station back in the Jurassic Period.

1 Like

Most of my customers receive only wiper inserts, the only time the wiper blade is needed is if they have replaced their OEM wipers with aftermarket. The OEM inserts last 3 years, the cheap aftermarket blades last one year.

Thatā€™s a good thing to do but do you also check the drain plug and the filter to make sure they are secure?

Like I said though as far as wiper blades, I get the inserts at the dealer on the Acura about every two years. It was about $20 for front and rear. On the Pontiac I buy the whole blade because of a weird connection. Still they work great and last. I donā€™t throw the old ones in the landfill though, I put them in the trunk because in snow and ice, you never know when one might get ripped to shreds and can quick replace it for the ride home. Never happened but ya never know.

Not specifically. I normally check underneath the car after a couple of days for signs of leakage.

Yep, I was just trying to say that just because these places manage to get oil in the right place, doesnā€™t mean that itā€™s going to stay in. I check for leaks to even doing it myself.

I would choose #2 :grin:

Iā€™m sure you would. You and a lot of other guys.

Back in the Jurassic period when I was a teenager Trico wipers were the ā€˜gold standardā€™! I bought some about 2 years ago to replace my OEM Kia wipers which were working fine at 8 years. The Trico wipers were total crap! Streaking/chattering! I reinstalled The OEM wipers and threw the Tricos in the trash. I guess something was lost in the translation when the Tricos became ā€˜Hecho en Mexicoā€™!!!

Trico was the good stuff, Anco was the economy alternative.

I have had good luck with NAPA blades.

Several years ago I had a good name brand wiper (Trico IIRC) snap off the arm during light rain on my way to work. Fortunately I didnā€™t damage the windshield. The nearest place was a NAPA and I stopped and bought a house brand blade.

If they work ok for you take 5 minutes and look at them very closely and make sure they are not torn . You do not want to scratch the windshield if they are torn . If ok then grab some paper towels and windex, spray the windex on the paper towel and clean each blade running back and forth across both blades . You will be amazed how much dirt and oxidized rubber come off the blades and you should be able to see even better .

1 Like

Trico makes several different grades of wipers at different price points. Iā€™m not defending them, just pointing it out.

I replaced the wipers on my 2017 Accord a few months ago with RainX and Iā€™m pleased with them.

I do that. If the old wipers still have some life in them. Yes. They can get you home if needed.