Replacing wiper blades?

Wiper blades come in all price ranges and I never thought any of them were all that expensive . Also the last ones I bought Advance Auto even put them on for me .

$6.27 each for Michelins at Walmart. Is that what you call expensive?

Edit - I just checked rockauto, $2.20 each for Trico.

3 Likes

For the next few weeks, they are only $5.99 at Costco. Their normal price is $8.99, but they are reducing the price for a few weeks.

Advance Auto Parts has Bosch on sale for about $45 for a set. Not chump change and I can certainly buy some cheaper but inexpensive compared to, say, a new alternator.

This sounds like the Oil Change shop that told me to replace my car’s battery several months ago. Fortunately, some of the posters in this forum advised me not to trust “the wolf, guarding the sheep.”

How many of you remember just replacing the insert, not the whole blade?

1 Like

Wiper insert equals at least one sliced finger .

3 Likes

What’s a little blood if you can save money :wink: though I don’t think I ever bled replacing the inserts. Imagine the toll the full blades have on landfills.

1 Like

I remember paying 99 cents for a pair of Anco inserts.

Back in the 70s I worked with an engineer who liked Fiats.

He bought the sports car called the Spyder?? and the first time he needed wipers, the dealer said he needed to buy the whole arm and wiper assembly at a whopping $29.95 each plus tax. At that time we were replacing inserts at about $1 each.

The rubber was also of poor quality and they wore out fast!

There’s a Jiffy Lube around the corner and I used to have oil changes done there. They would always find something my car needed. For example, “Your car has over 60,000 miles. You need to have the cooling system flushed!”
Me: “I had that done at 59,000 miles by the dealer.” (When the water pump was replaced under warranty.)
“But it’s supposed to be done at 60,000 miles! You need to have it done!”
Me: “Bye.”

1 Like

Amazon has Bosch ICON blades for $19.96 each with free shipping without Prime.
$14.38 for Bosch Evolution and free shipping with Prime.

I had an '84 Pontiac that had wipers with a prong or tab on each wiper that kept you from just installing the inserts. I sanded the tabs down and saved a few bucks.

1 Like

I used one near me for a while. They did decent work, and for a while tried to up sell me. After I trained them, they stopped. I don’t go there anymore because they want way more than anyone else in town for a full synthetic oil change.

Bosch Icon are the blades on sale. I appreciate the heads up but I try to patronize brick and mortar places when I can. I don’t plan to spend $45 on wiper blades in any case.

I could never drive out of Jiffy Lube without spending at least $90 and after a while I just gave up on them.

Hang around this site a bit more and you’ll find many people don’t drive out of Jiffy Lube very far before their engines lock up or blow from lack of oil.

I actually check my oil after an oil change no matter where I have it done, just on principle. No bad experiences with either of two Jiffy Lubes though. I started going there around 1980 when an oil change was $19.99. It must vary from one location to the next.

I typically replace mine every other year, I use Bosch Icons, They aren’t cheap as far as wipers go, but they last quite a while. I’ve tried cheaper wipers and most didn’t last a year.

I usually buy a good mid priced blade. The current set are RainX.