Replacing plugs at 180000 miles

My wife’s 2000 Chrysler Town and Country (3.1 V6) has 180,000 miles on the original plugs and wires. My mechanic has been bugging me to replace them, but after so many miles, I’m afraid they may snap off. The cars idles a little rough, but starts and runs OK. Should I have them replaced?

Check your owners manual first but I think the plugs and wire replacement is way overdue.

The issue is not going to get any better the longer you wait. They are past due for failure, and they will fail and you will have to deal with them then.

Try One And See If It Comes Right Out. It Might Surprise You That Those Plugs Come Out Normally. I’ve Had Good Luck With Older, High Miles Chryslers With Factory Champions.

CSA

I don’t actually think that you have much of a choice. As tardis said, they’re not getting better and they will have to be dealt with at some point.

Eventually the wires and/or plugs will fail. It does not make a large amount of difference whether you do it now or latter except you may break down at less convenient time and pay for a tow also.

yes you should have them replaced. No question about it, and if they break, there are ways to deal with that, and get them out. don’t hesitate. these kinds of things dont fix themselves.

You are way past due. Likely you are using more fuel than you should right now, and are risking having a failure. Best bet is to have them replaced. A good mechanic is not likely to break them taking them out, but be sure to tell him or her ahead of time. If one breaks, them it is not the end of the word. It can be handled.

Next time read the owner’s manual and follow the recommendations. :slight_smile:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I may be mistaken, but since this is a transverse mounted engine, I think some of the plugs are not easily visible or accessible. What’s the best way to verify that ALL plugs were indeed changed?

It is transverse mounted and the rear (of car - left side of engine) plugs are a bear.

The best way is to just use a shop that you know is reliable and trustworthy.

Short of that, you are entitled to ask to retain all of your own parts. So just tell them that you want your old plugs (I’d do the wires too) back. If you don’t want to create an atmosphere of assumed mistrust, just tell them you have a friend who wants to “read” them. (I actually always number each of my plugs by cylinder when I remove them so that I can “read” them and keep track of which one came from where).

If the car is idling rough, then one of the wires of plugs has already worn out.
If they snap off, then that’s entirely on you for not replacing them when they are supposed to be changed, and you can’t fault the mechanic for your own errors.

Yes, you should have them replaced.
You already know that you need to have them replaced.
You’ve known for YEARS that you needed to replace them.

Just replace them.

BC.

Please be more polite and professional if you’re going to post.

Yes, by now you should be on your third set of plugs and second set of wires. Car manufacturers design these schedules to keep the engine running economically and clean so the vehicle meets fuel economy standards and tailpipe emissions standards.

The fact that the car still runs reasonably well at this mileage is because of the built-in safety factor to ensure good performance. Your vehicle will not pass any emission test in its current condition, and you gas mileage is problably deteriorated as well.

As a regular here, I’d say this is pretty polite and professional. There are no personal attacks here, just an observation that you caused the problem through neglect, which is accurate.

I agree with bladecutter. He told you like it is, and wasn’t impolite or unprofessional. At any rate if his post was offensive, it would’ve been removed by the web lackey.

Almost forgot. There was no 3.1L engine available for the T&C you have either a 3.3L or a 3.8L